Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda’s Jeff Gibson is making it clear to his competitors in the AMA Arenacross Series that the 2009 championship goes through him. The Westerville, Ohio native grabbed his fourth win of the season and third win in a row on Saturday night at Broadbent Arena in Louisville, Ky. Reigning AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Division champion Tyler Bright, of Lexington, N.C., grabbed the win in the AMA Arenacross Lites class aboard his Makson Construction Suzuki.
Gibson was in control throughout the 25-lap main event, much like last night. He still has yet to finish off the podium in what is shaping up to be one of the most impressive performances in AMA Arenacross Series history.
“I just need to keep being consistent,” said Gibson. “I try not to think about the points chase at all and take things race-by-race. There is still a long season to go and anything can happen. I really just want to thank my Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda team.”
Gibson’s teammate Josh Demuth, of North Richland Hills, Texas, made it a 1-2 sweep for the Mahindra Tractors/Tuf Honda team with a strong runner-up finish. Reigning series champion Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., rounded out the podium on his Babbitt’s Monster Energy Kawasaki.
Bright capitalized on a good start to bring home a big win in the AMA Arenacross Lites class Multiregional race that included the Midwestern and Central Divisions. After posting a third place finish last night, he backed it up with an impressive outing to grab his first win of 2009.
“The track was really good tonight,” said Bright. “I’m really happy to get on the (podium). I would like to thank all of the track workers and my sponsors.”
Foremost Insurance Suzuki’s Josh Thomas, of Climax, N.C., came home in second while Team Green House of Kawasaki’s Justin Berry, of Edmond, Okla., finished third.
Gibson currently holds a 47-point lead in the standings over Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio.
The AMA Arenacross Series heads to Greensboro, N.C. and the Greensboro Coliseum next weekend for its second one-night round of the season. Action kicks off on Saturday, January 31 at 7:30 p.m.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Louisville, Ky.)
1. Jeff Gibson, Westerville, Ohio, Honda
2. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
5. Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki
6. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
7. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
8. Tyler Medaglia, Kemptville, Ontario, Kawasaki
9. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
10. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Louisville, Ky.)
1. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki
2. Josh Thomas, Climax, N.C., Suzuki
3. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
4. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
5. Daniel Aulsaybrook, Orntonville, Mich., Kawasaki
6. Scott Metz, Brookville, Ind., Kawasaki
7. Matt Maier, Green Bay, Wis., KTM
8. Justin Hopson, Kings Mountain, N.C., Honda
9. Ronnie Stewart, Easton, Pa., Suzuki
10. Tyler Medaglia, Kemptville, Ontario, Kawasaki
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 7 of 17)
1. Jeff Gibson, Westerville, Ohio, Honda – 162
2. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 115
3. Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 110
4. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 106
5. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 99
6. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 96
7. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Honda – 94
8. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha – 78
9. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M, Yamaha – 76
10. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki – 64