AMA Nat H&H Round 2 Results

February 10, 2009
By Chilly White

David Kamo - Ridgecrest
Faster riders finished the course in a little over two hours with David Kamo taking his first Hare & Hound win.

Rain on Saturday provided near perfect desert conditions for the second round on the AMA National Hare & Hound series put on by the 4 Aces club. The course consisted of lots of new fast and flowing terrain, the top riders finishing the 80-mile course in a little over two hours. Dave Kamo’s smooth and consistent riding finally paid off, riding his factory KTM 530 XC-W to his first ever National H&H overall win. Early reports are that Destry Abbott suffered a broken wrist while running second, but still limped in to finish ninth overall. Round 1 winner, Russ Pearson, showed up on his personal KTM 450, not the Blais Racing KTM 530 that he rode to a win in the series opener. Russ suffered a mechanical breakdown while leading late in the race.

The District 37 young guns had a great day. Jacob Argubright earned his first-ever podium with a third place finish, and district champion Nick Burson came in fourth. It was a rough day for the Zip-Ty Racing Husqvarnas with Ty Davis and Gary Sutherlin both suffering DNFs.

Kamo now leads the series with 50 points, followed by David Pearson with 40 and Destry Abbott in third with 33 points

Hare & Hound Round 2 Results:
1. David Kamo, KTM
2. David Pearson, KTM
3. Jacob Argubright, Kaw
4. Nick Burson, Husky
5. Matt Henderson, Kaw
6. Morgan Crawford, KTM
7. Dylan Murdock, Kaw
8. Zack Dodson, KTM
9. Destry Abbott, Kaw
10. Jared Bouy, Kaw

David Kamo Race Report
Courtesy of

David Kamo - Ridgecrest
Kamo made a solid run though the 80 mile course with some mistakes and a few mistakes by others.

The race started at 9 am Sunday morning. The weather was in the low 50’s and sunny with a ‘lil bit of wind from the south. The first loop was 42 miles and fast. The second loop was 44 miles and tight and technical. The bomb run was about 2 miles long through the tall desert bushes across the valley. I got a one kick start and was about 5th at the end of the bomb. Russ Pearson was first at the end of the bomb. Destry was 3rd, and Dave Pearson was 4th. Dave slowed down to check up on another rider who wrecked. I was behind Destry and tried to make a pass and picked a bad line which put me back two spots. Gary Sutherlin and Dave got around me. Later Ty Davis got around me when I made the mistake on taking another bad line. It was pretty difficult to make passes on the first loop. On the end of the first loop it was Russ, Destry, Dave P., Gary, and me. My mechanic, Anthony, got me in and out of the pits so fast that I passed Dave P. and Gary. I was in 3rd place going into the 2nd loop.

I pushed so hard on the second loop. I wanted to catch up with Russ and Destry. I went over the bars going down this big downhill with rock dry waterfalls in it. I hit neutral and wedged my tire in the rocks and went over the bars. When I got up off the ground I looked up and saw Destry at the bottom of the hill. I got back on my bike and finally caught up with Destry about half way through the second loop. I could tell that there was something wrong with him or his bike. He signaled me by. I didn’t know if I could catch up with Russ, but I didn’t give up and kept pushing. The course went on this long fire road about 3/4 into the race. I looked up and saw Russ off the side of the road. I saw that he had mechanical issues and waved me on. I rode 15 miles with the lead into the finish. I finished 3 mins in front of 2nd place (Dave Pearson), and then 3rd place was Jacob Argubright.

This is my first overall win for a National Hare & Hound. This win was for Rich Caselli. He helped get me where I am today.

-David Kamo

Factory KTM Report
Courtesy of KTM
David Kamo - Ridgecrest
Kamo made his second podium of the season and has taken the points lead.

Factory KTM Off-Road rider David Kamo took home his first ever Hare and Hound win at the second round of the AMA Hare and Hound Series in Ridgecrest, CA.

Kamo and his teammate, David Pearson, both had a strong start on the bomb run and began what would be the most enjoyable race so far with perfect weather conditions and no dust. At the end of the first 42 mile loop Pearson checked into the pits in 3rd position while Kamo was right behind him in 4th.

After a quick pit stop Kamo was able to move back onto the course in 3rd place while Pearson was a little farther back due to an extended pit stop. The second loop was much more technical than the first which proved to be advantageous to Kamo. Riding a steady and strong pace Kamo stayed close enough to the top two that he was able to take advantage when the 2nd place rider crashed moving into that number two spot.

Ridgecrest Podium
Kamo and Pearson took the top two spots for KTM.

Shortly after, the current leader, Russ Pearson broke down on the course, which allowed Kamo to take the lead and his first Hare and Hound win. David Pearson finished a solid 2nd place.

“I am so excited to finally win a race. I have finished 2nd too many times and it feels so good to finally win a race. My KTM was running perfect today and I can’t think my team enough for all of their hard work,” stated Kamo who now holds the series point lead.

Next Event: Round 3 – El Centro, CA – March 15, 2009

Monster Energy Kawasaki
Courtesy of Kawasaki Racing
Destry Abbott - Ridgecrest
Abbott made a solid finish despite a crash causing great pain in his wrist and managed a 9th place finish.

Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Destry Abbott Rides Courageously to Ninth
Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Destry Abbott rode a hard-fought race while nursing an injured wrist to finish ninth during the second round of the AMA National Hare and Hound Series in Ridgecrest, Calif. Kawasaki rider Jacob Argubright came away with a career-best finish of third on his Kawasaki KX450F.

Never Quit Attitude
Abbott was battling up front when he hit a rock and went down. When he remounted, his wrist was hurt but he continued to push until the finish line, never giving up.

“My fall didn’t seem that bad, but I managed to land on some rocks and hit my hand and wrist,” said Abbott. “When I got up, I didn’t think I could ride at all. I knew that I wanted to try and see if I could do it. I probably had about 25 miles left after that. I basically rode with one hand the rest of the race.”

First Podium
For Argubright, it was a great weekend where he went on to capture his first career podium in the series. After many close finishes to the podium, he made it with a consistent charge during the 90 mile race.

Month Off
The next Hare and Hound race isn’t until March 15, giving Abbott plenty of time to recover from his injury.

“I definitely sprained my wrist and some type of sprain in my hand,” said Abbott. “I am going to see a doctor on Tuesday and I know with therapy I will be fine. I’m just bummed because I felt really good with the great conditions after the rain.”

Facebook comments