“I tried to go at the start but I couldn’t get down to the lap times that I thought I could,” said Mladin. Obviously its nice to get a win. We’re keeping that Suzuki win streak alive. We’ve got a bit of work to do still.”
Big surprise. Yoshimura Suzuki’s Mat Mladin won the inaugural AMA Pro Road Racing’s American Superbike class.
Compared to last year’s series, the new rules including the use of a spec tire and fuel has definitely made the racing much closer than in years past. Where last year the lead riders would simply check out and run their own race this year they’re going bar-to-bar for the entire distance of the race. There’s no doubt that the new rules package is sure to ensure a more entertaining race for fans.
At the start of the race it was Mladin with the holeshot on his Suzuki GSX-R1000, followed by Corona Extra Honda Racing’s Neil Hodgson, Foremost Insurance Ducati’s Larry Pegram, Yamaha’s Josh Hayes and Jordan Suzuki’s Aaron Yates.
Mladin attempted to pull a gap on the rest of the 33 rider field early on but for all the time he’d make up in the infield, Daytona’s long banked straightaway allowed Hodgson and Pegram to close in. On Lap 4, Pegram made a double draft pass on Mladin and Hodgson for the lead.
Hayden continued to move right up the field and latched onto the top three riders while Hodgson took over the lead up front. Hayden continued to move forward past Pegram and lost out to Hodgson by the slimmest of margins at the checkered flag.
Pegram brought home his Ducati 1098R in fourth place some-10 seconds behind the lead trio. Fifth was the final Yoshimura Suzuki of Blake Young, with Ben Bostrom the top Yamaha finisher in sixth place.
AMA Pro Road Racing American Superbike Results presented by Parts Unlimited:
1. Mat Mladin, Suzuki GSX-R1000
2. Neil Hodgson, Honda CBR1000RR
3. Tommy Hayden, Suzuki GSX-R1000
4. Larry Pegram, Ducati 1098R
5. Blake Young, Suzuki GSX-R1000
6. Ben Bostrom, Yamaha YZF-R1
7. Aaron Yates, Suzuki GSX-R1000
8. Josh Hayes, Yamaha YZF-R1
9. Michael Laverty, Suzuki GSXR-1000
10. Geoff May, Suzuki GSX-R1000
11. Jeff Wood, Suzuki GSX-R1000
12. Aaron Gobert, Honda CBR1000RR
13. Hawk Mazzotta, Suzuki GSX-R1000
14. Chris Ulrich, Suzuki GSX-R1000
15. Jeffrey Tigert, Honda CBR1000RR
AMA American Superbike Daytona Results
AMA SportBike Daytona 200 Results
AMA SuperSport Daytona Results
AMA Moto-GT Daytona Results