British Superbike rider and reigning champ, Stuart Easton topped the timesheets qualifying for pole position for the start of the Macau Grand Prix.
PBM Kawasaki’s Conor Cummins grabbed the second-quickest spot with Michael Rutter, who is chasing his seventh-win of this event, starting from third on his Kawasaki ZX-10R. Fellow Isle of Man TT rider, Ian Hutchinson completed the fourth-fastest lap and took the final spot on Row 1.
Starting from the second-row in fifth is veteran racer, Michael Barnes on his PBM Kawasaki. The American is joined by BMW’s Rico Penzkofer in sixth and Easton teammate, John McGuinness, in seventh. Yamaha Austria Racing Team rider, Thomas Hinterreiter, qualified for eighth ahead of A.I.M. Racing’s Gary Johnson with fellow German, Stephen Thompson taking the final top-ten spot.
The second-fastest American, Jeremy Toye, was over four-seconds off from Easton’s pace. The San Diegan will start from 12th on the Lee’s Cycles Racing Honda with Celtic Racing’s Mark Miller in 13th. The final Statesman, Scott Jensen, landed on Row 5 in 19th position.
2009 Macau Grand Prix Friday Qualifying:
1. Stuart Easton (GBR) Hydrex IGT Honda
2. Conor Cummins (IOM) PBM Kawasaki WSBK Team +0.837
3. Michael Rutter (GBR) Team of Paris – AXA Racing +1.636
4. Ian Hutchinson (GBR) PBM Kawasaki WSBK Team +1.997
5. Mike Barnes (USA) PBM Kawasaki WSBK Team +2.345
6. Rico Penzkofer (GBR) BMW Macau Racing Team +2.478
7. John McGuinness (GBR) Hydrex IGT Honda +2.583
8. Thomas Hinterreiter (AUT) Yamaha Austria Racing Team +2.760
9. Gary Johnson (GBR) A.I.M. Racing +2.954
10. Stephen Thompson (GBR) Robinson Concrete Honda +3.796
12. Jeremy Toye (USA) Lee’s Cycles Racing +4.106
13. Mark Miller (USA) Celtic Racing +4.398
19. Scott Jensen (USA) +7.242