The first day of official IRTA Moto2 testing from Jerez ended with Alex de Angelis at the pointed end of the timesheets. And while rain marred the opening sessions of the day, things dried up in the afternoon and allowed for some productive laps to be logged during the second official test for the middle Grand Prix class.
MotoGP refugee De Angelis took his his Scot Racing entry to a best time of 1:55.835, the only rider under the 1:56 mark. Tech 3’s Raffaele de Rosa was just over two tenths back in second with a 1:56.054. This was a big jump forward for the Italian rider, who was quite far back during the first official IRTA test in Valencia earlier this week. Third-quickest was another former MotoGP rider, as Toni Elias continued to show his strength on the 600cc Moriwaki machine, his best a 1:56.246.
Interwetten Moriwaki Racing’s Thomas Luthi was fourth at a 1:56.624, with French rider Jules Cluzel on the Forward Racing entry rounding out the top-five at a 1:56.662. Simone Corsi on the Team JiR entry was sixth, the final rider under the 1:57 barrier, while Arne Tode ended up seventh and Alex Baldolini eighth. Axel Pons completed the first day ninth and Julian Simon, who was quickest at the Valencia test, rounded out the top-10.
American Kenny Noyes on the Team Jack&Jones by Antonio Banderas machine, who was second-quickest at the Valencia test, got off to a bit slower of a start in Jerez, ending the first day in 12th.
Moto2 Jerez Test Day 1 Results
1. Alex de Angelis (Scot Racing) 1:55.835
2. Raffaele de Rosa (Tech 3) 1:56.054
3. Toni Elias (Gresini Racing) 1:56.246
4. Thomas Luthi (Interwetten Moriwaki) 1:56.624
5. Jules Cluzel (Forward Racing) 1:56.662
6. Simone Corsi (Team JiR) 1:56.963
7. Arne Tode (Racing Team Germany) 1:57.096
8. Alex Baldolini (Caretta Technology) 1:57.659
9. Axel Pons (Pons Racing) 1:57.744
10. Julian Simon (Mapfre Aspar) 1:57.897
12. Kenny Noyes (Team Jack&Jones by A. Banderas) 1:58.075