Dusty and tired the JCR/Honda duo of Colton Udall and Jeff Kargola still have the strength to celebrate their win in Mexico.
The San Felipe 250 pits riders against 232-miles of some the harshest conditions that Mexico has to offer. Starting at 6 a.m., Udall and Kargola set the pace and overcame the odds to finish in first place. Stoked about their win, Udall said, “I worked my butt off for this win and it feels so good! Thanks to everyone at JCR/Honda and my teammate Ox for giving it your all.”
Amidst the celebration JCR/Honda Manager, Johnny Campbell, commented, “I am so pleased with the effort our teams put together. We overcame adversity at every corner and that is how championships are won. Thank you to my pit staff, racers and team for a 100% effort and congratulations to Colton and OX on a big win.”
Last year’s winner and teammate Kendall Norman, who chose to challenge the terrain solo, looked to be the favorite and had put together a sizable lead when he experienced a 65-mph crash. Fortunately, Kendall was uninjured, but the same could not be said about his JCR/Honda CRF450X which required extensive repairs including changing out the subframe, handlebars and exhaust pipe.
Kendall salvaged a fourth-place finish despite the delay. “I was looking forward to the challenge of an overall solo win. I had a little mistake and swapped out over a berm. It just wasn’t my day to win. The JCR/Honda pits did a great job getting me going again and I really missed having Timmy down here. The big picture is defending the 1x plate and I salvaged some important points for the championship.” (Tim Weigand suffered a stroke before the race and is awaiting surgery. Read about in JC’s blog Tim Weigand has a Holey Heart).
The official results for the 2010 Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250 are still pending due to a technical error, but will be updated once they become available.
2010 Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250 Results:
TOTAL STARTERS: 257 TOTAL FINISHERS: 158 (61.5 Percent)
CLASS 22 (250cc or more)
1. Colton Udall/Jeff Kargola/Johnny Campbell San Clemente, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 4:38:59 (53.34mph);
2. Robby Bell, Sun City, Calif./Steve Hengeveld, Calif., Kawasaki KX450F, 4:43:04;
3. Ryan Penhall/Connor Penhall, Corona, Calif., Kawasaki KX450F, 5:04:40;
4. Kendall Norman, Santa Barbara, Calif./Timmy Weigand, Santa Clarita, Calif./Quinn Cody, Buellton, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 5:11:45;
5. Cory Evenson/Tommy Deuchars, Ramona, Calif., KTM XC-W, 5:49:41;
6. Jamie Aguilar, Stockton, Calif./Kyle Abney, Albuquerque, N.M./Darren Johnson, San Andres, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 6:05:42;
7. A.J. Stewart, Jamul, Calif./Bryce Stavron, Palmdale, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 7:28:56.
(10 Starters, 7 Finishers)
CLASS 21 (126cc to 250cc)
1. Adam Neuwirth, Los Angeles/Salvador Hernandez, Ensenada, Mexico/Collie Potter, Murrieta, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 5:53:30 (42.09mph);
2. David Gonzalez Jr., Chula Vista, Calif./Carlos Casas, San Diego/Noe Ibarra, San Ysidro, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 5:58:04;
3. Sol Saltzman, Red Cliff, Colo./Matthew Karlsen, Denver/Pete Schmidtmann, San Felipe, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 6:19:03;
4. Jesus Gonzalez/Rigoberto Gomez/Javier Medrano, Ensenada, Mexico, Yamaha WR250, 6:43:47;
5. Steve Achey, Clovis, Calif./Marc Prince, Malibu, Calif./Wiley Watson, Clovis, Calif., Kawasaki KX450F, 6:48:52;
6. Gerardo Huerta/Daniel Huerta, San Diego/Nick Sandez, Temecula, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 7:17:20.
(7 Starters, 6 Finishers)
CLASS 20 (125cc)
1. Jason Trubey/Carl Maasberg/Jeremy Purvines, Henderson, Nev., Honda CRF250X, 5:48:22 (42.71mph);
2. Jesus Rios/Cuauhtemoc Beltran, Calexico, Calif./Joe Leal, Mexicali, Mexico/Edgar Espinoza, El Centro, Calif., Honda CRF250X, 6:09:26;
3. Anna Cody, Simi Valley, Calif./Roger Hurd, Crestline, Calif./Robert Laughlin, Solvang, Calif./Jeff Kawell, Crestline, Calif., Honda CRF250X, 6:12:56;
4. Manuel Reyes, Dulzura, Calif./Abraham Chavez, Tecate, Calif./Alejandro Palacio, Palmdale, Calif., Yamaha YZ250, 7:05:28.
(7 Starters, 4 Finishers)
CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)
1. Francisco Septien, Ensenada, Mexico/Shane Esposito, Lake Elsinore, Calif./Gerardo Rojas, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 5:11:35 (47.76mph);
2. Jim O’Neal/Jimmy O’Neal Jr., Simi Valley, Calif./David Fry, Las Vegas/Clint Braun, Henderson, Nev., Honda CRF450X, 5:14:40;
3. Javier Hernandez/David Topete, Obregon, Mexico/Mike Crowford, Phoenix/Earl Roberts, Mexicali, Mexico, Honda CRF450X, 6:27:06;
4. William Peel, Gilbert, Ariz., Honda CRF450X, 7:24:29;
5. Jon Jessey, Carlsbad, Calif., KTM 505XCF, 10:16:23.
(6 Starters, 5 Finishers)
CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)
1. Louie Franco, Sherman Oaks, Calif./Brett Helm, Poway, Calif./Jeff Kaplan, Thousand Oaks, Calif./Ricky Johnson, Trabuco Canyon, Honda CRF450X, 5:23:38 (45.98mph);
2. Henrik Andersen, Capistrano Beach, Calif./Todd Corbitt, Irvine, Calif., Yamaha WR450F, 6:58:20;
3. Tom Vogt, Tempe, Ariz./Ken Hughes, Gilbert, Ariz./Gary Lane, Mesa, Ariz, Honda CRF450X, 7:29:30;
4. Duane Dickinson, Canada, Yamaha WR450F, 7:21:14;
5. Terry Peregoodoff, Canada, Yamaha WR450F, 7:48:10;
6. Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Bill Cotton, Bakersfield, Calif./Brian Sweeney, Lancaster, Calif./Mike Roth, Flagstaff, Ariz., Honda CRF450X, 7:49:08.
(7 Starters, 6 Finishers)
CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old)
1. Jim O’Neal, Simi Valley, Calif./Doug Heil, Monrovia, Calif./Andy Kirker, Santa Ana, Calif./Jeff Kaplan, Thousand Oaks, Calif./Tim Withers, Pepeekeo, Hawaii, Honda CRF450X, 6:08:40 (40.36mph);
2. Ryan Armitage, Las Cruces, N.M./Mark Anondson, Wildomar, Calif./Jim Sandofer, Montecito, Calif./Keith Speir, Fillmore, Calif., Honda XR650R, 7:11:37;
3. Jose Chavez, Matachi, Mexico, KTM 530EXC, 10:23:45.
(4 Starters, 3 Finishers)
CLASS 60 (Riders over 60 years old)
1. Donald Lewis, Marlborough, Conn./Sam Dempsey, Lake Balboa, Calif./Bob Gates, Hesperia, Calif./Mike Harper, Landers, Calif./Jim O’Neal, Simi Valley, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 7:47:49 (31.81mph).
(2 Starters, 1 Finisher)
CLASS 25 (over 251cc)
1. Wayne Matlock/Josh Caster, El Cajon, Calif./Wes Miller, Fallbrook, Calif., Honda 700XX, 5:41:16 (43.60mph);
2. Mike Cafro, Bonsall, Calif./Marc Spaeth, Ramona, Calif./Josh Row, El Cajon, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 6:04:49;
3. Craig Christy, Burbank, Calif./Dave Scott, Belen, N.M./Andy Lagzdins, Playa del Rey, Calif./Cody Mitchell, Las Vegas, Honda TRX700XX, 6:10:28;
4. Josh Edwards, Peoria, Ariz./Shane Strunk/Shilo Strunk, Tucson, Ariz./Travis Dillon, El Cajon, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 6:52:09.
(6 Starters, 4 Finishers)
CLASS 24 (under 251cc)
1. Brandon Brown, Umatilla, Ore./Jorie Williams, Longview, Wash./Mike Kelley III, Edgewood, Wash., Honda TRX450R, 6:29:47 (38.18mph);
2. Oscar Arce, Lemon Grove, Calif./Christian Vera/Jorge Valenzuela, Ensenada, Mexico/Francisco Arce, Valle de la Trinidad, Mexico, Kawasaki KWX450R, 6:56:07;
3. Craig Christy, Burbank, Calif./Jason Wade, Austin, Texas/Joe Bernal, Chula Vista, Calif./Steve Abrego, Covina, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 6:57:11;
4. Luis Berumen, Tijuana, Mexico/Sergio Lopez Jr. /Rafael Rubio/Miguel Arrellano, San Diego, Honda TRX450R, 7:04:03;
5. Manuel Jimenez/Samuel Garcia, San Felipe, Mexico/Stefano Caputo, San Felipe, Mexico (Italy), Honda TRX450R, 7:19:02;
6. Efren Carrasco, San Diego/Julio Covarubias/Mario Yorba, Yamaha 450R, 7:26:27;
7. Adrian Valdez, Tijuana, Mexico/Carlos Valencia/Felix Hiram, San Diego, Jorge Brambila, Imperial Beach, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 7:49:32;
8. Abraham Romero, Tijuana, Mexico/Sigifredo Jimenez, Bonita, Calif./Jose Elias, Tijuana, Mexico, Honda TRX450R, 8:06:01;
9. Jose Zuniga/Jose Juarez/Alfonso Bolonos, Spring Valley, Calif., Honda TRX450R, 8:11:07.
(17 Starters, 9 Finishers)
CLASS 26 (Limited, Utility)
1. Rob Ransford, Chicago/Tim Winiarski, Carson, Calif./Joe Rice, Lomita, Calif., Can-Am 4X4, 9:47:51 (25.31mph).
(2 Starters, 1 Finisher)
FIRST SPT UTV (660cc, 4-wheel utility vehicle)
Robert Viau Sr., Lake Elmo, Minn./Chris Koch, St. Paul, Minn., Kawasaki DragonFire, 8:53:12 (27.91mph).
(6 Starters, 4 Finishers)
OVERALL SPT M/C<250CC
Ron Tolman, Chino Hills, Calif./Erik Meyers, Norco, Calif./Garrett Osteen, Phelan, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 5:56:08 (41.78mph).
(12 Starters, 11 Finishers)
FIRST SPT M/C>250cc
Salvador Sainz, San Diego/Alberto Cota/Felipe Beltran, Tijuana, Mexico, KTM XC525, 7:44:43 (32.01mph).
(14 Starters, 10 Finishers)
OVERALL SPT ATV
Guillermo Berenqua/Cultlalwge Espinoza/Alejandro Gomez, Mexicali, Mexico, Honda TRX450R, 7:16:52 (34.14mph).
(13 Starters, 8 Finishers)
Pro Cars & Trucks
SCORE TROPHY-TRUCK (Unlimited Production Trucks)
1. Jesse Jones, Litchfield Park, Ariz., Ford F-150, 4 hours, 24 minutes, 59 seconds (56.15 miles per hour); 2. Robby Gordon, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy CK1500, 4:36:10; 3. Chet Huffman, Northridge, Calif./Jerry Whelchel, Portola Hills, Calif., Chevy C2500, 4:46:03; 4. Robbie Pierce, Santee, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 4:46:38; 5. B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 4:49:03; 6. Andy McMillin/Scott McMillin, National City, Calif., Ford F-150, 4:53:24; 7. Ed Stout, Irvine, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 4:58:20; 8. Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 4:59:45; 9. Will Staats, Valencia, Calif./Greg Shapiro, Canyon Country, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 5:00:09; 10. Rob Bruce, Sublimity, Ore./Mark Witte, Silverton, Ore., Chevy Silverado, 5:12:51; 11. Kory Scheeler, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 5:40:22; 12. Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 6:11:09; 13. Adam Householder, Orange, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 6:38:41; 14. Roger Norman, Reno, Nev./Larry Roeseler, Alpine, Calif., Ford F-150, 7:14:36; 15. Mark McMillin, El Cajon, Calif./Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif., Ford F-150, 8:04:54; 16. Nick Vanderwey, Phoenix/Curt LeDuc, Cherry Valley, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 9:21:29; 17. James Bult/Jacob Bult, Monee, Ill., Dodge Ram2500, 10:49:05. (27 Starters, 17 Finishers)
CLASS 1 (Unlimited single or two-seaters)
1. Armin Schwarz, Germany/Martin Christensen, Escondido, Calif. (Denmark), Jimco-BMW, 4:22:27 (56.70mph); 2. Daniel McMillin, El Cajon, Calif., Jimco-Chevy, 4:35:52; 3. Randy Wilson, Lakewood, Calif./John Herder, Tucson, Ariz., Jimco-Chevy, 4:39:33; 4. Dan Martin, Monrovia, Calif./Justin Smith, Capistrano Beach, Calif., Penhall-Chevy, 4:46:42; 5. Eric Chase, San Diego/Stuart Chase, Burbank, Calif., Penhall-Chevy, 4:49:05; 6. Cody Parkhouse/Brian Parkhouse, Bell Gardens, Calif., Jimco-Chevy, 4:50:55; 7. Paul Keller, El Cajon, Calif./Charles Rudolph, San Diego, Jimco-Chevy, 5:10:45; 8. Conan Barker, Whittier, Calif./Scott Zeppenfeldt, Jimco-Chevy, 5:48:46; 9. Mario Acosta/Victor Gasca, Mexicali, Mexico, Tatum-Chevy, 6:02:04; 10. Kory Halopoff/Harley Letner, Orange, Calif., Alpha-Chevy, 7:14:05. (18 Starters, 10 Finishers)
CLASS 1-2/1600 (VW-powered, single or two-seaters to 1600cc)
1. Cody Robinson, El Centro, Calif./Roberto Romo, Mexicali, Mexico, Romo, 6:10:44 (40.14mph); 2. Luke McMillin, El Cajon, Calif., AlumiCraft, 6:26:25; 3. Hiram Duran/Eric Duran/Evan Duran, Tecate, Calif., Amplified, 6:28:50; 4. Mario Gastelum/Javier Rascon, El Centro, Calif., Romo, 7:09:24; 5. Rob Archibald, El Cajon, Calif., Mirage, 7:14:40; 6. Juan Gallo/Marco Gallo, San Felipe, Mexico, Curry, 7:39:54; 7. Kyle Conlon, Campo, Calif., Jimco, 8:02:23; 8. Arturo Velazco/Abel Velazco/Stevie Cruz, Banning, Calif., VBR, 8:25:56; 9. Kevin Walsh, Manchester, Mo./George Peters, Newbury Park, Calif., Campbell, 9:25:56; 10. Jose Mejorado/Eduardo Carreno, Tecate, Mexico, Chenowth, 9:56:14; 11. Rick Steven, Oceanside, Calif./Robert Figlioli, El Cajon, Calif., Raceco, 10:36:26. (18 Starters, 11 Finishers)
CLASS 5 (Unlimited VW Baja Bugs)
1. Kevin Carr/Noe Valdez, San Diego, 6:42:09 (37.00mph); 2. Pietro Brassea/Ivan Pacheco/Pete Morqoecho, Mexicali, Mexico, 6:52:40. (4 Starters, 2 Finishers)
CLASS 5/1600 (1600cc VW Baja Bugs)
1. Gustavo Avina, Ensenada, Mexico/Lucio Avina, Chula Vista, Calif., 7:20:10 (33.81mph); 2. Trevor Anderson/Mark Anderson, Carlsbad, Calif., 7:57:25; 3. Alonso Angulo/Mario Reynoso, Ensenada, Mexico, VW Baja Bug, 8:16:28. (6 Starters, 3 Finishers)
CLASS 6 (Unlimited, production mini trucks)
1. David Caspino, Tarzana, Calif./Robert Mason, Escondido, California, Ford Ranger, 5:35:15 (44.38mph); 2. Steve Kovach/Chip Carr, Chandler, Ariz., Ford Ranger, 5:42:28; 3. Heidi Steele, San Clemente, Calif./Rene Brugger, San Diego, Ford Ranger, 6:19:56; 4. Javier Manzo/Ismael Gaxiola, Tijuana, Mexico, Ford Ranger, 6:36:01; 5. Jose Canchola Jr., Mexicali, Mexico/Jorge Rodriguez, Calexico, Calif., Ford Ranger, 7:44:20; 6. A.J. Rodriguez, Lake Mathews, Calif./Jesse Rodriguez, Perris, Calif., Ford Ranger, 9:48:55. (9 Starters, 6 Finishers)
CLASS 7 (Open, production mini trucks)
1. Dan Chamlee/Tom Chamlee, Carpenteria, Calif., Ford Ranger, 8:32:17 (29.05mph) (2 Starters, 1 Finisher)
CLASS 7SX (Modified, open mini trucks)
1. Norm Turley, Long Beach, Calif./Jesse Galvan, Whittier, Calif., Ford Ranger, 8:10:05 (30.36mph); 2. Elias Hanna/Jose Castro, Ensenada, Mexico, Ford Ranger, 9:20:30; 3. Ted Moncure/Doug Hood, Long Beach, Calif., Toyota Tacoma, 10:31:41. (3 Starters, 3 Finishers)
CLASS 8 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks)
1. Juan C. Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Ford F-150, 4:57:36 (50.00mph); 2. Dave Crinklaw, Reedley, Calif./Mike Thurlow, Kingsburg, Calif., Ford F-150, Ford, 7:05:14; 3. Beny Canela/David Bryan, Indio, Calif.. Ford F-150, 7:12:51. (6 Starters, 3 Finishers)
CLASS 9 (VW-powered, Short wheelbase, single or two-seaters)
1. Eduardo Laguna/Yaroslao Duran, TRFab, 8:58:30 (27.63mph). (2 Starters, 1 Finisher)
CLASS 10 (Single or two-seaters to 1650cc)
1. Alex Crosthwaite/Jose Gonzalez, San Diego, Jimco-Honda, 5:33:17 (44.65mph); 2. Mike Lawrence, Banning, Calif./Blake Kirkpatrick, Hacienda Heights, Calif./Joel Liska, Banning, Calif., Lawrence-VW. 5:42:12; 3. Jesus Gonzalez/Jesus Acosta, Ensenada, Mexico, Dunrite-Honda, 7:56:46; 4. Jose Lopez, El Centro, Calif./Edgar Alvarez Jr., Mexicali, Mexico, Garibay-Toyota, 10:03:11. (6 Starters, 4 Finishers)
SCORE LITE (VW-powered, Limited single-1776cc-or two-seaters-1835cc)
1. Cody Freeman/Ken Freeman, Henderson, Nev., Fraley, 5:24:43 (45.82mph); 2. Lee Banning, Laveen, Ariz./Lee Banning Jr., Litchfield Park, Ariz., Foddrill, 5:36:41; 3. Brent Parkhouse, Long Beach, Calif./Brian Burgess, Riverside, Calif., Moulton, 5:40:04; 4. Mike Williams, Prescott, Ariz./Blaise Jackson, Fallbrook, Calif., Meco, 5:47:35; 5. Rafael Navarrro IV/Rafael Navarro III, Temecula, Calif., Jimco, 6:16:02; 6. David Callaway, Menifee, Calif./Scott Mapes, Riverside, Calif./John Morris, San Diego, Callaway, 6:47:05; 7. Justin Davis, Chino Hills, Calif./Daniel Folts, La Habra, Calif., Seagrove, 7:11:17; 8. Samuel Araiza, La Paz, Mexico, Curry, 7:27:06. (18 Starters, 8 Finishers)
CLASS 11 (Stock VW Sedans)
1. Eric Solorzano, Tijuana, Mexico/Robert Johnson, Atiwahnee, Calif., 10:11:00 (24.35mph). (4 Starters, 1 Finishers)
STOCK FULL (Stock, Full-sized trucks)
1. Joe Bacal, Anthem, Ariz., Lexus LX570, 9:21:52 (26.48mph). (4 Starters, 1 Finishers)
STOCK MINI (Stock, Mini-sized trucks)
1. Gavin Skilton, Anaheim, Calif.(England)/Vlad Chioreanu, Santa Monica, Calif., Honda Ridgeline, 10:14:09 (24.23mph). (1 Starters, 1 Finisher)
CLASS 7-2 (Unlimited 2.2/2.4-Liter Truck)
1. Fawn Finchum/Bruce Finchum, Mesa, Ariz., BajaLite-Chevy, 10:46:40 (23.01mph). (3 Starters, 1 Finisher)
CLASS 4 (Unlimited, 2.2 Liter open-wheel car)
1. Ed Zimmerman, Spring Valley, Calif./Donald Zimmerman, San Diego, PSD-Chevy, 6:28:40 (38.28mph). (1 Starter, 1 Finisher)
COLTON UDALL, No. 3x (First in class and first motorcycle to finish. Udall started and rode to race mile 30, Jeff Kargola rode from mile 30 to 146 and Udall rode from mile 146 to the finish.) – “Hopefully, I can get a lot more (wins). I’m really excited right now. It’s been a long time coming and I’m really happy. We just rode a good race today and our competitors made mistakes and had mechanical issues and we just rode a great race. I have to thank JCR Honda the most. There isn’t a better team coordinator, team owner than Johnny Campbell – period. It was rough out there. For the most part, everything went flawless. I nailed all my lines, got everything perfect and avoided the huge rocks. Ox (Jeff Kargola) rode great, too, and the bike was perfect.”
ROBBY BELL, No. 2x (Second in class, second overall motorcycle. Bell started and rode to mile 30. Steve Hengeveld rode from mile 30 to 150 and Bell rode from mile 150 to the finish.) – “It started off pretty well. We made it through the first 30 without any problems – not even any close calls. Then I gave the bike to Steve (Hengeveld) at mile 30 and about two miles in, he got a flat tire and had to ride it about the next 46 miles with a flat, so that set us way back. Without that, it could have been a close race. It was pretty rough out there. On Monday, (the course) was lovely…but today, it was very rough from all the pre-running.”
JASON TRUBEY, No. 153x (First in class and eighth overall motorcycle. Carl Maasberg rode the first 30 miles, Trubey rode from mile 30 to 80, Maasberg rode from mile 80 to 175 and Trubey rode from mile 175 to the finish.) – “I got lost coming in and had to turn around. I got lost a few times – no pre-running doesn’t work down here. But other than that, the bike ran great and handled decent. Overall, it was a good day and I thank Carl (Maasberg) for coming down with me and I thank SCORE for putting on the race. We had no major problems and the bike ran good. Carl did the dirty work out there – I think he passed about 15 bikes on his second ride and I just charged as hard as I could.”
FRANCISCO SEPTIEN, No. 306x (First in class and fourth overall motorcycle. Shane Esposito started and rode it to race mile 30. Septien rode from mile 30 to 94. Gerardo Rojas rode from mile 94 to 150, Esposito rode from 150 to 213 and Septien rode from 213 to the finish.) – “It was real good. We managed to keep second behind (Jim) O’Neal for the last 200 miles and I just caught him around mile 220 and got to the finish first. But we struggled with