The lone Kawasaki on the SuperBike grid, Eric Bostrom managed an impressive fourth in his return to the premier AMA class.
Josh Hayes set the pace as the AMA Pro Racing season kicked off with the Dunlop Tire Test at Daytona International Speedway. The rain that cancelled the first of a two-day test dissipated Tuesday, giving riders a half-day to work out the kinks of the off-season and sample the new surface at DIS.
The defending SuperBike champ Hayes took the top time in American SuperBike aboard his (Yamaha). The Gulfport, Mississippi rider turned a 1:38.795 lap time and top speed of 137.901 mph (Aaron Yates topped qualifying for last year’s Daytona ASB race with a 1:38.324). Following Hayes on the Dunlop Tire test sheet were Yoshimura Suzuki teammates Tommy Hayden and Blake Young.
In an official AMA Pro Racing press release Hayes said of the new Daytona surface. “The track is just so unbelievably smooth; when you compare some of the data from previous years, it is so much smoother. It is different, but it doesn’t take long to get back into the groove. I’m looking forward to the race.”
Following the Yamaha front-runner and Yosh Suzuki duo were familiar faces on new teams. Eric Bostrom impressed on the Kawasaki, running a second off Hayes’ pace in fourth. Larry Pegram followed Boz aboard his new BMW S1000RR, the long-time Ducati rider having made the switch in the off-season.
The elder Bostrom, Ben, made his Jordan Suzuki debut alongside his new teammate, and another familiar face returning to the AMA paddock, Roger Hayden. The Jordan Suzuki duo lead another pair of GSX-R1000 riders, Daytona SportBike promoted Martin Cardenas and Chris Ulrich for the M4 squad.
Geoff May rounded out the top-10, turning laps aboard a Buell 1125R.
Roger Hayden is back in the AMA, campaigning the Jordan Suzuki, finishing the Dunlop test seventh on the timesheet.
American SuperBike Dunlop Tire Test Results:
1. Josh Hayes (Yamaha) 01:38.8
2. Tommy Hayden (Suzuki) 01:39.1
3. Blake Young (Suzuki) 01:39.4
4. Eric Bostrom (Kawasaki) 01:39.9
5. Larry Pegram (BMW) 01:40.0
6. Ben Bostrom (Suzuki) 01:40.3
7. Roger Hayden (Suzuki) 01:40.7
8. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 01:41.0
9. Chris Ulrich (Suzuki) 01:41.5
10. Geoff May (Buell) 01:42.1
11. David Anthony (Suzuki) 01:42.1
12. Jeremy Toye (BMW) 01:44.0
13. Barrett Long (Ducati) 01:44.4
14. Chris Clark (Yamaha) 01:44.4
15. Eric Haugo (Suzuki) 01:45.0
16. Chris Trounson (Suzuki) 01:45.8
17. Jordan Burgess (Suzuki) 01:45.9
18. Gary Orr (BMW) 01:47.8