Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, grabbed the holeshot for the Arenacross class main event and quickly pulled a gap over the field. TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, and Bowers followed and engaged in a battle for second. After several laps of work, Bowers passed his championship rival and set his sights on Ames, who held a three-and-a-half second lead at the time.
Over the next handful of laps, Bowers chipped away at Ames’ advantage, eventually making the winning pass on Lap 13. Ames attempted to respond, but it was too little too late. Bowers consistently extended his lead over the field, eventually winning by almost seven seconds and bringing his 2011 championship season to a near-perfect conclusion.
Ames held on for second while Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki’s Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., finished his season with a podium effort in third, stealing the spot from Gibson at the tail end of the 25-lap main event.
The Des Moines finale was also a chance for the fastest Arenacross Lites class riders in the country to face off in a Eastern- and Western-Regional showdown. Newly-crowned Eastern Regional Champion Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, was the first rider out of the gates for the 18-lap main event.
After crossing the line in third, Moore made short work of his competitors and moved into the lead. From that point on, no one had anything for the Western Regional Championship runner-up and he cruised to the win, over four seconds ahead of Massie. Privateer Suzuki rider Austin Primavera, of Larue, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
TUF Honda-supported rider Vicki Golden, of El Cajon, Calif., completed her rookie season in the AMA Arenacross Series on a historic note. After becoming the first woman to compete full-time in the sport and making history as the first female to qualify for an AMA Arenacross Series main event, Golden broke through yet again by becoming the first woman to finish inside the top 10, posting her best finish of the season on Saturday in 10th.
After 14 consecutive weeks of action, one of the most memorable seasons in AMA Arenacross Series history has come to a close. As Bowers, along with Arenacross Lites champions Massie and Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., leave the 2011 season with number one plates in their hand, every competitor in the series heads into the offseason in preparation for what is sure to be another tremendous season of action in 2012.
2011 AMA Arenacross Des Moines Results:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
4. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
7. Dano Aulseybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Suzuki
8. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
9. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda
2011 AMA Arenacross Lites Des Moines Results:
1. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
2. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
3. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki
4. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM
5. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha
6. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki
7. Michael Furlin, Pismo Beach, Calif., Honda
8. Lee Chavous, Perkasie, Pa., KTM
9. Josef Debower, Audubon, Iowa, Honda
10. Vicki Golden, El Cajon, Calif., Honda
2011 AMA Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 425
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 382
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 376
4. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 308
5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 291
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 284
7. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 272
8. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 225
9. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 202
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 196
2011 AMA Arenacross Western Regional Points:
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 188
2. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 158
3. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 139
4. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 137
5. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 98
6. Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 89
7. Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki – 75
8. Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki – 62
9. Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
10. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 42
2011 AMA Arenacross Eastern Regional Points:
1. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 216
2. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 134
3. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 110
4. Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 96
5. Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
6. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda – 89
7. Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
8. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 85
9. Michael Furlin, Pismo Beach, Calif., Honda – 68
10. Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-365-5750.
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross and http://twitter.com/arenacross today!