Harley-Davidson introduces the newest member of its Dyna family, the 2012 Switchback. Similar to the spendier CVO Softail Convertible, the windshield and saddlebags of the Switchback pop off easily without the use of tools, giving owners two bikes in one.
The new 2012 Dyna Switchback is based on the same premise as the CVO Softail Convertible as the fork-mounted windshield and hard saddlebags pop off without the use of tools and only takes minutes to convert. This gives the motorcycle dual purpose as a touring motorcycle and a cruiser. The 2012 Switchback will be powered by Harley’s potent Twin Cam 103 V-Twin. It weighs in much lighter than other Harley tourers and comes with revised front end geometry, upgraded suspension and a low profile front tire.
The 2012 Harley-Davidson lineup also features a 10th Anniversary Edition of the V-Rod. Introduced in 2002, the motorcycle brought Harley-Davidson kicking and screaming into unchartered liquid-cooled waters. Its 60-degree Revolution V-Twin was the first production Harley engine to feature overhead cam shafts and liquid cooling. The V-Rod has seen a multitude of variations since its introduction, including the 2007 CVO V-Rod Destroyer, a true drag bike capable of eight second quarter-miles. The latest iteration of the V-Rod uses the 1250cc version of the Revolution which puts out a claimed 125 hp @ 8250 rpm. Its got a slew of new components, from its straight-shot exhaust to split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels.
The other big news for 2012 is the use of The Motor Company’s potent Twin Cam 103 V-Twin in more models. The big mill is now standard equipment on Softail, Touring, and most Dyna models. The engine is claimed to put out almost 100 lb-ft of torque, a six percent jump up from the TC 96. In all, Harley is releasing a very ambitious lineup of 32 models, including the Tri Glide Ultra Classic.
Here’s the rest of the news courtesy of Harley-Davidson’s official press release:
Harley-Davidson offers more Big Twin performance for 2012 as its Twin Cam 103 powertrain is standard equipment on Softail and Touring motorcycle models and most Dyna motorcycle models. Harley-Davidson will offer two new models for 2012. The V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition celebrates a decade of power-cruiser performance, while the new Dyna Switchback is a convertible custom-touring motorcycle with detachable hard saddlebags and windshield. In addition, the Night Rod Special has significant updates for 2012 with refreshed bodywork and optimized rider ergonomics. Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) rolls out the gleaming new CVO Road Glide Custom, a limited-production, high-performance touring masterpiece.
In honor of a decade’s worth of duty, Harley-Davidon pays tribute to the V-Rod with a special 2012 Tenth Anniversary edition.
Harley-Davidson believes every motorcycle it sells can be a custom of one. Harley-Davidson H-D1 is a comprehensive offering of customization tools for the Harley-Davidson motorcycle owner. H-D1 tools include Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories listings in print and on-line catalogs, Fit Shop and consultation services at Harley-Davidson dealerships, and factory customization and Bike Builder tools on harley-davidson.com. H-D1 offers almost unlimited opportunities to optimize fit, function, style and performance and turn a Harley into a motorcycle that is truly personalized to its owner.
Harley-Davidson heads into 2012 with 32 models, each born of experience that spans generations and a passion for riding that will never diminish.
Highlights of the 2012 Harley-Davidson line include:
• The Twin Cam 103 engine powers all 2012 Dyna, Softail and Touring models with the exception of the Dyna Street Bob and Dyna Super Glide Custom. This engine produces up to 100 lb-ft. peak torque, an increase of approximately 6 percent over the Twin Cam 96 engine it replaces as standard power for many of these models. The Twin Cam 103 is equipped with automatic compression release. It features identifying badges on the derby cover, timer cover and air cleaner trim ring.
• A Security Package that pairs Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Smart Security System with proximity-based, hands-free security fob is available for all 2012 V-Rod, Dyna, Softail, Touring and CVO models. The Security Package is standard equipment on CVO models and on the Road Glide Ultra, the Electra Glide Ultra Limited, and the Road King Classic. The Security Package is a factory-installed option for all other models.
• The Night Rod Special is updated with new tapered tail section, lighter-weight wheels, an inverted front fork and improved ergonomics. Harley-Davidson celebrates a decade of power cruising with the V-Rod 10th Anniversary Edition motorcycle, finished in Brilliant Silver Pearl bodywork that
Other big news out of the Harley-Davidson camp for 2012 is the fact that more of its motorcycles, like the 2012 Road Glide Custom above, will be powered by the Twin Cam 103.
evokes the anodized aluminum bodywork of the original V-Rod model that introduced the liquid-cooled Revolution V-Twin engine in 2002. All V-Rod models will carry V-Rod 10th Anniversary badges.
• The new Dyna Switchback combines hard saddlebags and a windshield with the eager handling and Twin Cam 103 performance of the Dyna chassis. It’s a custom-touring bike ready for a long weekend trip, until the detachable bags and windshield are removed. Then in seconds the Switchback becomes a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminum wheels and a mini-ape handlebar. This convertible concept makes the versatile Switchback two motorcycles in one.
• All Harley-Davidson Softail models get the performance boost of the Twin Cam 103 engine for 2012. The Fat Boy and Fat Boy Lo have a new reduced-reach handlebar for more-comfortable ergonomics. A lower, narrower seat shape places the Fat Boy rider in a new “in the bike” position. The Softail Deluxe and Heritage Softail Classic will be available with a new optional “tubeless” Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option for ease of tire replacement and repair.
• The Twin Cam 103 powertrain gives all Harley-Davidson Touring models assertive power for passing. On Touring models, the Twin Cam 103 is equipped with an oil cooler. All Touring models except the Ultra Limited will offer a new “tubeless” Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced wheel option.
• The Harley-Davidson Sportster line appeals to a broad range of riders with six 2012 models ranging from the race-inspired XR1200X to the accessible SuperLow to Dark Custom roadsters like the Iron 883, Nightster and Forty-Eight. The Sportster 1200 Custom can be personalized for fit, function and style with H-D1 factory customization, a process that allows customers to use the Bike Builder tool on harley-davidson.com to build the motorcycle from a selection of options that are installed as the bike is assembled by Harley-Davidson Motor Company or are installed by a dealer after the motorcycle is delivered. New 1200 Custom color options have been added to Bike Builder for 2012.
• The new CVO Road Glide Custom is one of four limited-production 2012 models from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO)T, each turned out with bold paint, gleaming chrome, and the most-powerful V-Twin engines offered in production Harley-Davidson motorcycles. CVO Road Glide Custom is a hot-rod bagger with a frame-mounted fairing topped with a smoked Wind Splitter windshield, a high-output, amplified Harman/Kardon Advanced Audio system, and a color-matched, low-profile fuel tank console.