After crashing in the morning session Chris Fillmore came back to lead the XR1200 field during qualifying.
The AMA Pro Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson XR1200 series broke new ground at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Friday as Bruce Rossmeyers Daytona Racing’s Chris Fillmore led the field with a scorching lap set during qualifying. With a time that was close to two seconds faster than the best pace set during testing, Fillmore was just 0.007 seconds quicker than Parts Unlimited/Vance and Hines’ Steve Rapp. Both Fillmore and Rapp suffered difficulties in the morning session, but following their impressive pace in the afternoon they’ve emerged as notable threats this weekend. Tyler OHara took third in the charts, with Irishman Jeremy McWilliams and Drag Specialties/Vance and Hines’ Michael Barnes rounding out the top-five times in fourth and fifth, respectively. The top-six riders all bested Jason DiSalvo’s previous lap record of 1:58.342, giving testament to how competitive the class is becoming.
Richie Morris Racing/Bruce Rossmeyer Daytona Racing’s Kyle Wyman posted sixth on the grid and was followed by DiSalvo, who was more than two-tenths slower than he was in testing a week ago. Shawn Higbee claimed eighth during provisional qualifying, with Motosports Plus/STS Racing’s Steve Crevier and Kuryakyn/Bob Fier Racing’s Gerry Signorelli rounding out the top-10 in the charts.
Indianapolis XR1200 Qualifying Results 2011:
1. Chris Fillmore (Harley-Davidson) 1:56.448
2. Steve Rapp (Harley-Davidson) 1:56.455
3. Tyler OHara (Harley-Davidson) 1:57.021
4. Jeremy McWilliams (Harley-Davidson) 1:57.227
5. Michael Barnes (Harley-Davidson) 1:57.478
6. Kyle Wyman (Harley-Davidson) 1:57.942
7. Jason DiSalvo (Harley-Davidson) 1:58.566
8. Shawn Higbee (Harley-Davidson) 1:58.888
9. Steve Crevier (Harley-Davidson) 2:00.198
10. Gerry Signorelli (Harley-Davidson) 2:00.422
11. Michael Corbino (Harley-Davidson) 2:00.939
12. Barrett Long (Harley-Davidson) 2:01.332
13. Shane Narbonne (Harley-Davidson) 2:02.017
14. David Estok (Harley-Davidson) 2:02.113
15. Cody Matechuk (Harley-Davidson) 2:02.297