Team Faith KTM’s Kevin Johnson, of Spring, Texas, took the holeshot in the 25-lap main event with FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, and Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, in tow. It didn’t take long for Gibson to make his move on Gibson, taking over the lead before the completion of five laps.
Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers posted his eighth victory of the season in Dayton and currently leads the field by 15 points.
Once out front, Gibson looked to check out on the field, but Bowers was making his move forward from a fifth-place start. By the halfway point, Bowers was in second and proceeded to set his sights on Gibson, his closest rival in the championship. Gibson fended off Bowers for several laps, until he crashed in a rhythm section, allowing Bowers to move into the lead on Lap 20. From there, the defending series champion never looked back.
The win extended Bowers points lead over Gibson to 15 points. Gibson secured the runner-up spot, while Skaggs held on for third.
In the 18-lap Arenacross Lites Class Main Event, Mages grabbed the early lead, with Dragon Racing Fuels/AG Motorsports KTM’s Michael Willard, of Newark, Ohio, following closely behind. Mages outran his rival throughout the main event and despite Willard’s efforts, he wasn’t able to get close enough to challenge for the win.
Mages and Willard finished out the night in the top two spots, while Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Championship points leader Michael McDade, of Oklahoma City, Okla., finished third aboard his Motostar Kawasaki.
In the Dash for Cash, Gibson grabbed the win in the exciting four-lap shootout. All proceeds went to A Kid Again.
AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend, with two nights of action from Cedar Park, Texas, and the Cedar Park Center, on Friday, January 27, and Saturday, January 28. The action kicks off at 7 p.m. CT.
2012 AMA Arenacross Dayton Saturday Night Results:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
3. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
4. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
5. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
6. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
7. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
8. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
9. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
2012 Arenacross Lites Dayton Saturday Night Results:
1. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
2. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
3. Michael McDade, Edingburg, Pa., Kawasaki
4. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
5. Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda
6. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda
7. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
8. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
9. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
10. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (8 wins) – 260
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 245
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 218
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 186
5. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 173
6. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 164
7. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 128
8. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 101
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 86
2012 Arenacross Eastern Regional Lites Championship Points:
1. Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki (1 win) – 176
2. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM (3 wins) – 159
3. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM (2 win) – 150
4. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki (1 win) – 140
5. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM – 102
6. Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 91
7. Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda – 77
8. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM – 75
9. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 72
10. Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 58
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.