Geico Suzuki’s Martin Cardenas claimed pole position for the 71st Daytona 200. The 2010 Daytona SportBike Champion nipped Y.E.S. Graves Yamaha rider Cameron Beaubier for the shiny new Rolex awarded to the fastest rider in the Friday qualifying session.
Yamaha rider Joey Pacarella (Project 1 Atlanta) was third-fastest, while last year’s D200 winner, Jason DiSalvo, rounds out the front row for Saturday’s feature race aboard the Team Latus Triumph.
M4 Broaster Suzuki’s Dane Westby leads Row 2. Meanwhile Jake Zemke recovered from lackluster Thursday results, with the Ducshop Ducati pilot and 2006 Daytona 200 winner qualifying in sixth. Zemke edged out LTD Yamaha rider Huntley Nash and Vesrah Suzuki’s Corey West.
Vesrah’s second rider, Benny Solis qualified ninth. The SuperSport call-up edged out Ducati rider Barrett Long and Yamaha duo Tommy Aquino (SGA Racing/YCRS) and JD Beach (RoadRace Factory/Red Bull).
Tommy Hayden marked his dramatic return to AMA racing by qualifying 14th on the D200 grid. The former Yoshimura Suzuki rider substitutes for Garrett Gerloff on the Y.E.S. Graves Yamaha, with Gerloff having broken his leg during Thursday practice.
2012 Daytona 200 Qualifying Results:
1. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 01:49.6
2. Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha) 01:49.7
3. Joey Pascarella (Yamaha) 01:50.2
4. Jason DiSalvo (Triumph) 01:50.3
5. Dane Westby (Suzuki) 01:51.2
6. Jake Zemke (Ducati) 01:51.2
7. Huntley Nash (Yamaha) 01:51.5
8. Cory West (Suzuki) 01:51.5
9. Benny Solis (Suzuki) 01:51.6
10. Barrett Long (Ducati) 01:51.6
11. Tommy Aquino (Yamaha) 01:51.7
12. JD Beach (Yamaha) 01:51.7
13. Bobby Fong (Yamaha) 01:51.9
14. Tommy Hayden (Yamaha) 01:52.0
15. Robertino Pietri (Yamaha) 01:52.1