Tyler OHara fought a neck-and-neck race with Michael Barnes, but came out on top in the Road Atlanta XR1200 race Sunday.
Bartel’s Harley-Davidson rider Tyler O’Hara edged out teammate Michael Barnes to take victory in the Vance and Hines XR1200 Race at Road Atlanta. The front-running duo was joined on the podium by KWR rider Kyle Wyman.
O’Hara opened the 10-lap race from pole position, but the race ran into trouble early when Wyman went down and all riders had to pit while clean-up crews removed debris from the track. After the restart, Wyman fell back to 11th place until he began to post some of the fastest lap times in the field and which eventually brought him back up to podium position.
Steve Rapp, doing double duty today racing in both the XR1200 and SuperBike classes, shot up to second place early in the race, trailing OHara by under a second. Rapp held steady with O’Hara and Barnes through eight of the ten laps, but then suffered a mechanical failure and fell to the back of the field, finishing in 17th place.
O’Hara bested his teammate at the line with a 0.626 second advantage. Wyman was a lonesome third, with brother Travis Wyman winning a battle for fourth with Longevity Racing’s Barret Long.
The win this week keeps O’Hara in the points lead for now, but KW is only five points behind. If the Daytona 200 winner can make it through the next round in California without incident, he will be a contender for first position on the podium. Barnes only sits ten off his teammate’s lead after today’s race, and is consistent in his riding, posting a finish time tody only 0.626 off the lead.
2012 XR1200 Road Atlanta Race Results:
1. Tyler OHara (Harley-Davidson)
2. Michael Barnes (Harley-Davidson)
3. Kyle Wyman (Harley-Davidson)
4. Travis Wyman (Harley-Davidson)
5. Barrett Long (Harley-Davidson)
6. Shane Narbonne (Harley-Davidson)
7. Benjamin Carlson (Harley-Davidson)
8. Michael Corbino (Harley-Davidson)
9. Gerry Signorelli (Harley-Davidson)
10. David Estok (Harley-Davidson)
11. Darren James (Harley-Davidson)
12. Josh Chisum (Harley-Davidson)
13. Russell Proctor (Harley-Davidson)
14. Paul James (Harley-Davidson)
15. Aaron Borello (Harley-Davidson)
2012 XR1200 Points:
1. Tyler O’Hara, 57
2. Kyle Wyman, 52
3. Michael Barnes, 47
4. Travis Wyman, 33
5. David Estok, 29
6. Michael Corbino, 27
7. Darren James, 26
8. Gerry Signorelli, 25
9. Benjamin Carlson, 22
10. Josh Chisum, 21