DMR riders Dave Molyneux and Patrick Farrance took the 2012 Isle of Man TT win in the Sure Sidecar race on Saturday. The win marks Molyneux’s 15th career TT win and is the first for Farrance. The duo never lost the lead after starting the event in first position. Over twenty seconds behind were LCR Honda’s Ben and Tom Birchall, earning their first ever TT podium in second place. Shelbourne Honda’s Conrad Harrison and Mike Aylott rounded out the rostrum in third.
During the first lap at Glen Helen, Molyneux and Farrance were only 2.5 seconds ahead of the Birchalls. By the end of the lap, the DMR riders had increased their lead to 13.96 seconds, posting an average speed of 113.269mph.
LCR Honda’s Tim Reeves and Dan Sayle managed to hold third position through the early portion of the race, but they soon lost hope of finishing with a podium after having to pull in at Sulby Village. Harrison and Aylott then took third and remained without contest for the position through the race.
Gary Bryan and Jamie Winn of Baker Honda slipped in position from qualifying where they placed third, to earn fourth in the main TT event. Robert Hancock and Ken Edwards of Shelbourne Honda on the other hand improved position greatly from qualifying, where they placed 10th, taking fifth on Saturday.
Isle of Man Sure Sidecar TT Race Results 2012
1. Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance (DMR)
2. Ben Birchall/Tom Birchall (Honda)
3. Conrad Harrison/Mike Aylott (Honda)
4. Gary Bryan/Jamie Winn (Honda)
5. Robert Hancock/Ken Edwards (Honda)
6. Mike Cookson/Kris Hibberd (Honda)
7. Gary Knight/Dan Knight (Kawasaki)
8. Frank Lelias/Charlie Richardson (Honda)
9. John Saunders/Shaun Parker (Honda)
10. Tony Thirkell/Nigel Barlow (Honda)