Glorious memories of the Indy Mile go back for decades. Top riders have always highly coveted a win at this race, long considered the “Crown Jewel” of AMA Pro Racing’s oldest and most tradition-rich professional racing series. The race returned to the State Fairgrounds in 2008, after a nine-year hiatus, to large crowds and much fanfare. Last year’s race was canceled due to the State Fair stage collapse, but will now return not only to the fairgrounds, but also as an official Indiana State Fair event thanks to the cooperative efforts of Fair officials, AMA Pro Flat Track, Peoria Motorcycle Club (who changed their race date) and Family Events, the race producer.
Changes for 2012:
• Advance Tickets will be good for admission to both the Fair and the Race. Spectators purchasing advance tickets via Ticketmaster, State Fair Box Office, or Family Events will need to show their tickets at the entrance gate to get into the Fair and then show them again for admission to the grandstands.
• The procedure for Day of Race or Will-Call Tickets will be as follows: 1.) Purchase State Fair Admission at gate for the price of $10. 2.) Proceed to Grandstand Box Office where race tickets will be sold for the Advance price minus the $10 admission fee. Will-call will proceed to will-call window to pick up their tickets.
• There will be limited motorcycle parking available. The Fair will allow motorcycles to park along the north side of Main Street (behind the grandstands) from the Communications Building to the Gazebo. Motorcycle parking will also be available in the infield on the paved lot in the southeast corner. This parking is available on a first- come-first-serve basis. The Fair will be ongoing and parking space in these lots is not guaranteed.
• Because the majority of the infield is used for State Fair parking, there will be no infield tickets available for the Indy Mile this year. The pits will still be open to visitors during Rider Autograph Session with access back and forth from the grandstands. During the race there will be no infield viewing for race fans.
• While the added attractions of an entire State Fair full of fun, including the midway, the shows, the endless array of food and refreshments, the animal displays, the historic exhibits and more will now be available to Indy Mile attendees; there is no alcohol sold during the Fair.
Advance tickets are available at The Indiana State Fairgrounds Box Office, any Ticketmaster location, www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Direct orders may be placed through Family Events at 317-236-6518 by 8/9/12.
The latest information on the Lucas Oil Indy Mile AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National and a schedule of events may be found at www.IndyMile.com, www.fb.com/IndyMile, www.amaproracing.com, www.in.gov/statefair or by calling (317) 236-6515.