MotoGP riders starting at Jerez in 2012. Officials have now confirmed the championship will stop at the Spanish circuit again on May 5th for Round 3 of the 2013 season.
The 2013 MotoGP World Championship schedule continues to fall into place, with confirmation of a contest in Spain at Jerez de la Frontera on May 5, 2013 and a change of date for the Sachsenring round from July 7th to the 14th. In the update issued in October, the start of the season would have been March 31, 2013 at Qatar, but that date has been pushed back one week and a 19th, to-be-determined, round has been dropped. At this point the 18-round season has all stops accounted for. Included below is a press release issued by MotoGP as well as the updated 2013 schedule. – MotoUSA Byron Wilson.
Dorna Sports has confirmed that the Gran Premio bwin de España will take place in Jerez until at least 2015 after reaching an agreement today, whilst the 2013 eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland has been shifted back a week.
Following doubts about the future of MotoGP™ at the popular Jerez de la Frontera circuit, which regularly attracts crowds of over 200,000 people, the Andalucian Government (Junta de Andalucía), the Jerez City Council and Dorna Sports have reached an agreement to keep the Grand Prix on the calendar until at least 2015.
Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta commented: “It’s with great pleasure that I can announce the extension of the Jerez Grand Prix for a further three years. It is one of the key stops on the MotoGP calendar with an atmosphere bar none that attracts huge crowds from near and afar. It is also a popular venue with the riders, as the track’s nature makes it a great spectacle for some of the best racing in the world.”
In addition to this, there is also a change to the 2013 calendar, which sees the German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring moved back a week from its original date from the 7th to the 14th of July.
2013 MotoGP Provisional Calendar (December 11, 2012 Update)
1. 7 April Qatar* Doha/Losail
2. 21 April Americas Austin
3. 05 May Spain Jerez de la Frontera
4. 19 May France Le Mans
5. 2 June Italy Mugello
6. 16 June Catalunya Circuit de Catalunya
7. 29 June Netherlands** TT Assen
8. 14 July Germany Sachsenring
9. 21 July United States*** Laguna Seca
10. 18 August Indianapolis Indianapolis
11. 25 August Czech Republic Brno
12. 01 September Great Britain Silverstone
13. 15 September San Marino & Riviera di Rimini Marco Simoncelli Misano
14. 29 September Aragón MotorLand Aragón
15. 13 October Malaysia Sepang
16. 20 October Australia Phillip Island
17. 27 October Japan Motegi
18. 10 November Valencia Ricardo Tormo-Valencia
* Evening Race
** Saturday Race
*** Only MotoGP class