Hayes beat out Hayden by 0.290 seconds at the end of his 18-lap session, setting the stage for another strong showing in AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike. Hayden bested Hayes during the initial practice on Friday, but Hayes hit back with a lap nearly one second faster on Saturday. Hayes commented after Friday’s session that “For some reason, the first session is always tough for me here at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and I seem to ride a little tight in the beginning.” He appears to have found a competitive pace and will be the man to beat during Sunday’s single race.
Following Saturday’s qualifying Hayes revealed, “we wanted to make sure we got it, so we threw two tires at it — we don’t always go that route. We went out on a used tire from a the first session, rode five or six laps, came in and got a new tire, did five or six laps and improved. We came and got another fresh tire and got in another good, solid set of laps.”
Pegram Racing’s Larry Pegram posted the fifth-fastest time followed by KTM/HMC Racing’s Taylor Knapp in sixth and Motosport.com’s Cory West in seventh.
AMA Pro SuperBike Qualifying Results 2013:
1. Josh Hayes (Yamaha) 1’24.507
2. Roger Hayden (Suzuki) 1’24.797
3. Josh Herrin (Yamaha) 1’25.225
4. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 1’25.369
5. Larry Pegram (Yamaha) 1’26.223
6. Taylor Knapp (KTM) 1’26.274
7. Cory West (EBR) 1’26.683
8. Robertino Pietri (Kawasaki) 1’26.822
9. Aaron Yates (EBR) 1’26.885
10. Danny Eslick (Suzuki) 1’26.994