Marquez started the day strong, posting the fastest time in FP3, and was off like a rocket from the start of Q2. Lorenzo’s first flying lap was already faster than any previously run at the circuit, but Marquez quickly moved past the Mallorcan. Lorenzo answered back on his second fast lap before heading to the garage for a tire change and when the Yamaha rider came back he bested his previous rotation yet again, becoming the first rider to dip into the 2’00 range at the circuit. Marquez found a little bit extra though and on his last quick lap got ahead of Lorenzo for a final time giving him his fifth pole start of the season.
“I am very happy with pole position and this one carries even more value as we set a new record,” said Marquez. “The lap times were very fast, we managed an incredible lap and Jorge [Lorenzo] set the bar very high for us. We put in a better hot lap than I had expected; I hadn’t anticipated riding so fast! The race will be tough tomorrow and we will have to remain very focused, because I think that Jorge is the strongest rival that we have here. We will need to get a good start and see if we can stick with him.”
Crutchlow’s front row position is made all the more impressive considering he suffered two nasty crashes earlier in the day. The British rider totaled one of his bikes in the first incident and then later suffered a crash that sent him skidding into the gravel. He remained resolute and posted a 2’01.425 on his penultimate rotation in Q2.
LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl heads up the second row followed by Marquez’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa, in fifth. Pedrosa got bumped from the front row by Crutchlow and then was forced to sit up on his final flying lap attempt, opening the door for Bradl to slip by as well. Lorenzo’s teammate, Valentino Rossi, finished sixth-fastest.
Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso starts from the top of the third row followed by Go & Fun Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista in eighth. Dovi’s teammate, Nicky Hayden, qualified in ninth position.
For the third round in a row NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards qualified as the fastest CRT on the grid, this time earning his best starting position of the season in 11th. Aleix Espargaro of Power Electronics Aspar was unable to compete in qualifying following a crash earlier in the day that left him with a compound fracture in his left little finger.
MotoGP Silverstone Qualifying Results 2013:
1. Marc Marquez (Honda) 2’00.691
2. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2’00.819
3. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 2’01.425
4. Stefan Bradl (Honda) 2’01.558
5. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2’01.624
6. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 2’02.109
7. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 2’02.123
8. Alvaro Bautista (Honda) 2’02.252
9. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 2’02.289
10. Bradley Smith (Yamaha) 2’02.409
11. Colin Edwards (FTR-Kawasaki) 2’04.032
12. Aleix Espargaro (ART) 2’03.464
13. Randy de Puniet (ART) 2’04.114
14. Hector Barbera (FTR) 2’04.236
15. Michele Pirro (Ducati) 2’04.680
16. Andrea Iannone (Ducati) 2’04.692
17. Yonny Hernandez (ART) 2’04.749
18. Danilo Petrucci (Ioda-Suter) 2’04.798
19. Michael Laverty (PBM) 2’04.936
20. Claudio Corti (FTR-Kawasaki) 2’05.356
21. Hiroshi Aoyama (FTR) 2’05.622
22. Lukas Pesek (Ioda-Suter) 2’07.261
23. Bryan Staring (FTR-Honda) 2’07.300