This is Davies’ first time to lead a qualifying session in 2013, and the BMW ace secured his position at the top with a final lap effort just before the end of his time on track.
“It was a good day,” said Davies. “I am happy with the RR, it was working pretty well straight away this morning. The bike was already pretty good in the dry at Silverstone and it was also working very well in Russia so that shows that we have found some decent settings in the last few races. Today we only struggled a little bit at the beginning of the first qualifying as we went in the wrong direction with the shock absorber but the guys quickly went back to a previous setting and the bike improved again.”
Sykes was the most consistent rider to finish on the provisional front row and he held the top position for the bulk of the session before Davies’ final push. Fabrizio, like the Welshman, notched his best lap just prior to the end of the day, improving on his previous best effort by seven-tenths of a second.
FIXI Crescent Suzuki’s Leon Camier got off to a strong start, finishing fourth-fastest, followed by Pata Honda’s Jonathan Rea in fifth. Current points leader, Sylvain Guintoli of Aprilia Racing, finished sixth ahead of Sykes’ teammate Loris Baz.
Team Ducati Alstare’s Carlos Checa crashed before he could log a timed lap in the qualifying session. Checa couldn’t get back to the garage immediately owing to the location of the incident, and by the time he and the machine had made it back there wasn’t enough time for his crew to make the necessary repairs. His teammate, Ayrton Badovini, struggled with grip and finished 14th.
World Superbike Nurburgring Friday Results 2013:
1. Chaz Davies (BMW) 1’55.034
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1’55.051
3. Michel Fabrizio (Aprilia)
4. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1’55.342
5. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1’55.434
6. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia) 1’55.609
7. Loris Baz (Kawasaki) 1’55.648
8. Leon Haslam (Honda) 1’55.683
9. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1’55.691
10. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1’55.705
11. Jules Cluzel (Suzuki) 1’55.990
12. Davide Giugliano (Aprilia) 1’56.157
13. Markus Reiterberger (BMW) 1’56.362
14. Ayrton Badovini (Ducati) 1’56.389
15. Max Neukirchner (Ducati) 1’56.552
16. Mark Aitchison (Kawasaki) 1’57.285
17. Matej Smrz (Yamaha) 1’57.310
18. Federico Sandi (Kawasaki) 1’57.939
19. Vittorio Iannuzzo (BMW) 1’58.837