Long-time AMA racer Steve Rapp finally wrapped up his first-ever AMA championship today at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca taking the title in the Harley-Davidson XR1200 class.
The 41-year-old racer turned commercial airline pilot started the race from pole position, led each of the 10 laps and crossed the checkered flag by nearly six seconds.
Second place went to Tyler O’Hara who battled his way through the field after having to start the final race of the season from the back of the grid after switching to his back-up bike due to a mechanical issue encountered on his primary machine on the warm-up lap.
The final podium position went to Wisconsin’s Ben Carlson who finished just ahead of young gun Hayden Schultz and now former XR1200 champ Michael Barnes.
Harley-Davidson XR1200 Laguna Seca Results:
1. Steve Rapp (Harley-Davidson)
2. Tyler O’Hara (Harley-Davidson)
3. Ben Carlson (Harley-Davidson)
4. Hayden Schultz (Harley-Davidson)
5. Michael Barnes (Harley-Davidson)
6. Greg McAllister (Harley-Davidson)
7. Travis Wyman (Harley-Davidson)
8. Dave Estok (Harley-Davidson)
9. Darren James (Harley-Davidson)
10. Shane Narbonne (Harley-Davidson)