The front-running Kawasaki will be chased by a trio of Aprilias, as his closest competitor in the points, Aprlia’s Eugene Laverty, leads Row 2. The Irishman trails Sykes by 23 points in the standings, and was 1.8 seconds off the Superpole-winning lap. Laverty is joined by two Italians on the second row, Pata Honda’s Michel Fabrizio and Alstare Ducati’s Ayrton Badovini.
BMW’s duo of Marco Melandri and Chaz Davies start Row 3.Crescent Suzuki’s Vincent Philippe managed ninth on th grid as the multi-World Endurance champ fills in for the injured Leon Camier.
Wet conditions affected the early sessions on Saturday, including Superpole 1. The final Superpole 2, however, saw the track drying and riders setting down qualifying laps several seconds faster than the previous session. Timing during the wet Superpole session had Sykes comfortably ahead of Laverty and Guintoli, who were in turn well ahead of the remainder of the qualifying field.
2013 World Superbike Magny-Cours Superpole Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1’38.592
2. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia) 1’39.397
3. David Giugliiano (Aprilia) 1’39.933
4. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1’40.410
5. Michel Fabrizio (Honda) 1’40.864
6. Ayrton Badovini (Ducati) 1’40.926
7. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1’41.361
8. Chaz Davies (BMW) 1’41.375
9. Vincent Philippe (Suzuki)
10. Michele Pirro (Ducati)
11. Toni Elias (Aprilia)
12. Jules Cluzel (Suzuki)
13. David Salom (Kawasaki)
14. Lorenzo Lanzi (Ducati)
15. Leon Haslam (Honda)