The battle was cut short as the two teams neared the end of the race. FMF/KTM’s Kurt Caselli was maintaining his team’s lead as Udall gave chase, but near the 800-mile mark Caselli went down in an accident that would eventually claim his life. Udall had a big off as well, hitting a cattle guard at speed and damaging his front wheel. Once his bike had been repaired he expected to still be behind Caselli and didn’t find out about the KTM rider’s accident until reaching the pits. Weigand then took over for Udall, completing the final leg of the race for the win.
“I went fifth-gear sliding into a giant cattle guard and broke my front wheel and my whole world came down on my head,” said Udall after the joining the team at the finish line. “I made the biggest mistake I have in like two years. It’s unbelievable, I can’t believe we’re standing here in first.”
The THR Motorsports/Monster Energy Kawasaki team of Robby Bell, Ricky Brabec, Steve Hengeveld, David Pearson and Taylor Robert took second overall in the motorcycle division, finishing nearly two hours after the JCR team. Finishing third was the Honda CRF450X mounted team of Francisco Arredondo, Ryan Dudek, Shane Esposito, Scott Myers and Chris Haines.
“Early in the race we were all within minutes,” said Bell. “It was a close race and what we wanted. We were all really close through the night and once the daytime came around we figured that is when the race would start. Unfortunately, just as the sun was coming up, we had a miscalculation and ran the bike out of gas just before our pit. We lost about 40 minutes in that fiasco. I got on the bike and lost my head a little bit and tried to do too much too soon and crashed really hard. That ended my race about 10 miles into my section just after El Crucero. I hit either a rock or a tree branch. It kicked me sideways off the course and into the bushes and rocks. I hit something and I was done. I hurt my shoulder, my ankle and my knee. The helicopter landed and our medic tended to me and Steve (Hengeveld) had to hop on the bike. He did a fantastic job riding the rest of my section for over 100 miles. I tore that bike up and he had to ride all that silt stuff without pre-running it and I know that was gnarly but he did an awesome job.”
Check out the video below to view Bell’s helmet cam footage of the 10 mile ride and crash.
MotoGP racer Colin Edwards and his team out of Montgomery, Texas finished fourth in Class 21 (450cc or less). Alexander Smith of Riverside, California earned honors as the only rider to finish the grueling race solo, crossing the line after 27 hours aboard his KTM 450XCF.
Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 Pro Motorcycle Results 2013:
CLASS 22 (450cc or more)
1. Timmy Weigand, Valencia, Calif./Colton Udall, San Clemente, Calif./David Kamo, Caldwell, Idaho/Mark Samuels, Yucca Valley, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 18:29:14; (47.8 mph)
2. Robby Bell, Glendora, Calif./David Pearson, Panaca, Nev./Taylor Robert, Scottsdale, Ariz./Ricky Brabec, Oak Hills, Calif., Kawasaki KX450F, 20:21:19
3. Dustin Paloposki/Klade Glasgow/Geoffe Nelson/Tyler Murray, Canada, KTM, 23:34:18
4. Brian Garrahan, Boulder Creek, Calif./Arik Swan, Santa Cruz, Calif./Bobby Bartholomew, Boulder Creek, Calif., Kawasaki KX450F, 25:32:36.
(Total Starters: 7, Total Finishers: 4)
CLASS 20 (400cc or less)
1. Chad Broughton/Eric Pucelik/Jim Owens/Jack Hulse, Scotts Valley, Calif., Honda CRF250X, 26:32:30, (33.6 mph) (Total Starters: 3, Total Finishers: 1)
CLASS 21 (450cc or less)
1. Cody Schafer, Wheatridge, Colo./Olaf Satre, Steamboat Springs, Colo./Matt Kukendall, Las Vegas, Kawasaki KX450F, 25:01:22 (35.3 mph)
2. Adam Neuwirth, Los Angeles/Joe Querantes, Laguna Beach, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 28:38:42
3. Mike Maggrah/Geoff Gerbrandt, Canada, Yamaha WR450F, 30:28:25
4. Colin Edwards/Mike Myers/Steven Bodak, Montgomery, Texas, Yamaha WR450, 30:38:46
5. Mike West, Yucaipa, Calif./Jeff Bates/Jason Woodruff, Australia, Honda CRF450X, 31:25:07.
(Total Starters: 6; Total Finishers: 5)
CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)
1. Francisco Arredondo, Guatemala/Ryan Dudek/Shane Esposito, Menifee, Calif./Scott Myers/Brian Pinard, Temecula, Calif./Chris Haines, Dana Point, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 20:57:09 (42.5 mph)
2. Mike Johnson, El Paso, Texas/Rex Cameron, Albuquerque, N.M./Francisco Septien, Ensenada, Mexico/Gerardo Rojas, Vicente Guerrero, Mexico/Jason Trubey, Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Honda CRF450X, 22:14:10
3. Ryan Gutile, Madera, Calif./Kyle Abney/Paul Luce, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha WR450F, 24:34:15
4. Jeff Benrud, Raeford, N.C./Clint LaRue, Virginia Beach, Va., Honda CRF450X, 24:59:52
5. Cliff Cook/Justin Miller, Matt Bateman, Jay Rabjohn, Cameron Park, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 26:43:04
6. Paul Gallagher/Chris Knight/David Gibson/Mladen Rudman, Canada, KTM XCW500, 28:53:01
7. Brad Baker, Arlington, Va./Jeremy Baker, Vancouver, Wash./Luke Dupin, Moscow, Idaho/Jean-Paul Dupin, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, Honda CRF450X, 30:37:03
8. Bobby Belz/Darell Pitts, Lovington, N.M./Rob Riner, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda CRF450X, 32:20:58.
9. Mike Meyer, Hermosa Beach, Calif./Joshua Coffey, Bakersfield, Calif./Kenneth Caverhill, Frazier Park, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 32:26:10.
(Total Starters: 11, Total Finishers: 9)
CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)
1. Scott Yenzer, Golden, Colo./Bill Gilbert, Ladera Ranch, Calif./Marin Camp, South Africa/Shihab Alireza, Saudi Arabia, Honda CRF450X, 25:36:27 (34.5 mph)
2. Mike Prunty, Temecula, Calif./Jeff Kaplan, Thousand Oaks, Calif./Louie Franco, Temecula, Calif./Sterlyn Rigsby, Temecula, Calif., Honda CRF450X, 29:47:48
3. Giovanni Spinelli/Earl Roberts/Don Connely/Mike Carter, Calexico, Mexico, Honda CRF450x, 31:28:11.
(Total Starters: 5, Total Finishers: 3)
CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old)
(Total Starters: 2, Total Finishers: 0)
SCORE IRONMAN (Solo Riders)
1. Alexander Smith, Riverside, Calif., KTM 450XCF, 27:04:50 (32.6 mph).
(Total Starters: 9, Total Finishers: 1)