Stage 13 featured a relatively short 97-mile timed section and early on Pain’s teammate, Michal Metge, set the pace. Team HRC’s Joan Barreda and Samsung Sherco Rally Factory’s Juan Pedrero Garcia trailed close behind on the timesheet during the initial miles, but defending Dakar champion Cyril Despres moved past them all at around the 25-mile mark. The Yamaha ace maintained his strong pace all the way to the finish, crossing the line in first followed by Barreda and Pain. But Despres was hit with a five-minute penalty after the stage, which dropped him to fifth, giving Barreda the Stage 13 win.
Coma was in no hurry, mitigating risk by moving through the stage at a slower pace to ensure his overall win. The Spaniard finished Stage 13 in 18th.
“Without the right people behind me it would have been impossible to win,” Coma said. “We have worked very well throughout the race and also before. Last year I went through a very difficult situation not being able to compete because of injury and I came back to win the race. I think this says a lot about the people I have around me. I am very proud of this victory. What was key to winning the Dakar was not to make any mistakes.”
Despres missed out on the overall podium and finishes this year’s Dakar in fourth. Barreda’s teammate, Helder Rodrigues, sits fifth followed by KTM’s Jakub Przygonski in sixth. Barreda earns seventh followed by Honda rider Daniel Gouet in eighth.
Honda pilot Laia Sanz is the only female rider in the motorcycle class this year to make it to the finish. She scored a 16th place result in Stage 13 and finishes 16th overall. Only 78 motorcycles made it to the finish out of 196 starters in the 2014 Dakar.
Dakar Rally 2014 Stage 13: La Serena – Valparaiso Results
1. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 1:59:44
2. Oliver Pain, FRA (Yamaha) 2:00:24
3. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 2:01:07
4. Juan Pedrero Garcia, ESP (Sherco) 2:01:19
5. Cyril Despres, FRA (Yamaha) 2:02:14
6. Jordi Viladoms, ESP (KTM) 2:03:15
7. Michael Metge, FRA (Yamaha) 2:03:52
8. Daniel Gouet, CHL (Honda) 2:04:01
9. Jakub Przygonski, POL (KTM) 2:05:00
10. David Casteu, FRA (KTM) 2:07:04
2014 Dakar Rally Final Overall Results:
1. Marc Coma, ESP (KTM) 54:50:53
2. Jordi Viladoms, ESP (KTM) 56:43:20
3. Oliver Pain, FRA (Yamaha) 56:50:56
4. Cyril Despres, FRA (Yamaha) 56:56:31
5. Helder Rodrigues, PRT (Honda) 57:02:02
6. Jakub Przygonski, POL (KTM) 57:22:39
7. Joan Barreda, ESP (Honda) 57:44:54
8. Daniel Gouet, CHL (Honda) 58:01:27
9. Stefan Svitko, SVK (KTM) 58:41:03
10. David Casteu, FRA (KTM) 58:49:09