Ducati announced after the session that it would compete in the Open class in 2014. Team press indicated that both Dovizioso and his teammate, Cal Crutchlow, spent time lapping with the spec Magneti Marelli ECU package but made no mention of which configuration propelled Dovi to his best lap of the day. Crutchlow ended the session in eighth.
NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Aleix Espargaro finished in fourth one-tenth off the lead pace. LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl took fifth followed by Go & Fun Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista in sixth. Rossi’s teammate, Jorge Lorenzo, placed seventh.
Lorenzo made progress on the timesheet but continues to have trouble with tire wear at the Malaysian circuit.
“We found a better solution today to improve our situation and adapt these tires at this track,” explained the 2012 World Champion. “The tires are much harder in the sidewalls. At this track, with this tarmac that is very slippery, it’s not the same as Phillip Island or Mugello for example, it’s impossible for us to be competitive. This tire is much worse for Yamaha and better for Honda. Our bike is competitive, at a similar level to the competitors but with the tire we have problems. We tried a simulation today and it was worse and worse every lap. In the edge there is a problem with no grip but also when you pick up the bike it spins.”
Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith and Pol Espargaro finished in ninth and 10th, respectively, followed by Pramac Racing’s Andrea Iannone in 11th. Suzuki’s test rider Randy de Puniet put up his best lap time, a 2’01.497, to earn 12th on the timesheet.
“Today we made good steps with some settings with the electronics by the end of the test and on the last run we found something certainly helped me ride the bike better,” said De Puniet.
“Overall we reduced our lap-times gap compared to the first test and I’m now more comfortable on the bike. The character is still a little aggressive but now we have got good information and we have some new direction on what to work-on in the future.
“We also tested a new frame today and we plan to further-test with more new settings in the future to further evaluate this.”
NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards scored the 14th-fastest time followed by Drive M7 Aspar’s Nicky Hayden in 15th.
MotoGP Sepang II Test Session 3 Results 2014
1. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1’59.999
2. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1’59.999
3. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 2’00.067
4. Aleix Espargaro (FTR-Yamaha) 2’00.101
5. Stefan Bradl (Honda) 2’00.164
6. Alvaro Bautista (Honda) 2’00.506
7. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2’00.619
8. Cal Crutchlow (Ducati) 2’00.790
9. Bradley Smith (Yamaha) 2’00.804
10. Pol Espargaro (Yamaha) 2’01.032
11. Andrea Iannone (Ducati) 2’01.198
12. Randy de Puniet (Suzuki) 2’01.430
13. Yonny Hernandez (Ducati) 2’01.497
14. Colin Edwards (FTR-Yamaha) 2’01.748
15. Nicky Hayden (Honda RCV) 2’01.924
16. Michele Pirro (Ducati) 2’02.029
17. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda RCV) 2’02.070
18. Scott Redding (Honda RCV) 2’02.228
19. Hector Barbera (Avintia) 2’02.341
20. Katsuyuki Nakasuga (Yamaha) 2’03.115
21. Mike di Meglio (Avintia) 2’03.499
22. Karel Abraham (Honda RCV) 2’04.304
23. Nobuatsu Aoki (Suzuki) 2’06.482