Michael set off 10 seconds behind Anstey and spent the initial laps closing in on the Padgetts rider, with William close at hand as well, the three riders pacing within a second of one another at Glen Helen. MARTRAIN Yamaha’s Dean Harrison was similarly quick as well in fourth followed by privateer rider Ian Lintin on a Taylor Lindsey Racing Honda.
As the first lap progressed Michael built up a lead on the timesheet of over four seconds ahead of Anstey, clocking a Lap 1 speed of 126.256 mph. William Dunlop and Harrison remained steady in third and fourth while Lintin dropped back in the pack as Milwaukee Yamaha’s Josh Brookes moved ahead into fifth. Some top contenders didn’t make it out of the early stages of the race, as Brookes’ teammate, Ian Hutchinson and Jackson Racing’s Connor Cummins were forced to retire during the first rotation.
On Lap 2 Michael closed the physical gap to Anstey and had gained a nine second lead. The two riders remained close through the remainder of the race and just before the checkers Anstey, knowing he’d be classified second in time, gave Michael a clear line to the front to take the checkers first.
William Dunlop had a steady run in third, facing little pressure from Harrison in fourth. Positions throughout remained well established until the final lap, when Brookes and Pirtek Racing Honda’s Lee Johnston, running fifth and seventh at the time, respectively, dropped out at Creg ny Baa. Luckily neither rider suffered any injury.
Quattro Kawasaki’s James Hillier finished in fifth-place, an improved finish compared to his Supersport Race 1 results earlier in the week. RigDeluge Honda’s Keith Amor also enjoyed a stronger finish in Race 2, coming across the line in sixth. Lintin held on to finish seventh followed by Cookstown B.E. Racing’s Dan Kneen in eighth and Wilcox Racing’s Dan Stewart in ninth. Tyco Suzuki’s Guy Martin rounded out the top-10.
Michael Dunlop now has 10 career TT victories to his credit, putting him among the likes of Giacomo Agostini, Rob Fischer and Ian Lougher.
Isle of Man TT Supersport Race 2 Results 2014
1. Michael Dunlop (Honda) 125.078 mph
2. Bruce Anstey (Honda) 124.788 mph
3. William Dunlop (Suzuki) 124.394 mph
4. Dean Harrison (Yamaha) 123.946 mph
5. James Hillier (Kawasaki) 122.985 mph
6. Keith Amor (Honda) 122.655 mph
7. Ivan Lintin (Honda) 122.380 mph
8. Dan Kneen (Honda) 122.112 mph
9. Dan Stewart (Honda) 122.061 mph
10. Guy Martin (Suzuki) 121.542 mph
11. Russ Mountford (Triumph) 121.119 mph
12. Jamie Hamilton (Honda) 120.580 mph
13. Steve Mercer (Suzuki) 119.697 mph
14. Michal Dokoupil (Yamaha) 119.680 mph
15. Sam Wilson (Kawasaki) 119.286 mph