New York Ultimate Builder weather report: cold, rain and snow on the outside; hot custom bikes on the inside. The fifth round of the J&P Cycles
Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show series kicked off last Friday inside the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. The show was a real treat for enthusiasts with some of the most spectacular custom bikes seen on the circuit to date.
George Stinsman built a custom bike for his client who said that he couldn’t ride it because it was just too nice a bike to ride. So Stinsman built him one to ride. The ‘Hate Tank’ is a 2014 Chaos Cycle classic bobber that features an 80” Shovel and paint by Chris Mauro. And what did his customer say after the bike won Ultimate Builder in NY? “Great, now I have two bikes I can’t ride!”
1. George Stinsman, Chaos Cycles – The Hate Tank, 2014 Chaos Cycle
2. Satya Kraus, Kraus Motor Co. – Achuma
3. Lone Wolf Custom Cycle, David Lamoureux – The Beast, ’05 VTX 1300R
Jon Shipley of Hoosier Daddy Choppers captured first place in the Modified Harley class with his Firehouse Racer. The custom bike features a Harley-Davidson 96 Twin Cam engine teamed to an S&S Carb and Ultima two-inch belt drive. The
This classic bobber by Chaos Cycles called 'The Hate Tank' won the Freestyle Class at the New York Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show and snagged the $2500 cash prize that goes with it.
Jon Shipley's Firehouse Racer added another show title to its resume, earing first place in the Mod Harley class at the NY Ultimate Builder.
Thomas Foulds of Working Class Choppers snared first place in New York's Mod Street Class with his '82 Suzuki GS450.
Mike Terwilliger's 1963 Panhead took top Ultimate Builder honors in New York in the Retro Modified class.
2013 Boardtracker features plenty of refashioned antiques, including hand-fabricated exhaust tips made from 1920s fire hose brass nozzles, a 1910 Jose Lucas Carbide headlight and an After Hours Choppers taillight. Work on the leather seat was done by Anvil Customs.
1. Jon Shipley, Hoosier Daddy Chopper – Firehouse Racer, ’13 Boardtracker
2. Kary Reilly/Matt Kaplan, 60 Degree Cycle - Lanior, ’08 V-ROD
3. Chris Lindsey, Westchester Powersports – Red Bike, ’07 FXSTB
Painter Mike Terwilliger rolled his 1963 H-D Panhead called Scrapyard into the teeth of the Ultimate Builder competition and when the dust cleared and the votes were counted his hand-made bobber took the win by one vote. The Retro MOD class shows the greatest amount of innovation and interest with the builders, the NY contest being no exception. But it was Terwilliger’s raked-out Springer with its big open belt primary and classic Panhead engine that took home the top prize in the Big Apple.
1. Mike Terwilliger – Scrapyard, ’63 Panhead
2. Will Ramsey Faith Forgotten Choppers – Tight & Shallow, ’56 Chopper
3. Copper Mike, Gravesend Cycles – 7 Deadly Sins, ’80 Shovelhead
This was the second year that Street Bikes Inc. came to the Big Apple to compete in the Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show. While they took second last year, the crew moved up to first place this year in the Performance Custom class with their custom Hayabusa called ‘Alien.’ Features include rear air ride suspension, a chrome extended swingarm, 330 rear tire, front and rear spinners and custom spikes.
1. Street Bikes Inc. – Alien, ’09 Suzuki Hayabusa
2. Roman Levin, FOH – Rage, ’11 FOH Rage
3. Break Lite Motorsports – Nightmare Before Christmas, ’11 Hayabusa
Thomas Foulds from Working Class Choppers won the MOD Street class with Jizzeppi, his 1982 Suzuki GS450 café racer. Foulds reworked the rear by cutting off the standard dual shock arrangement and converting it to a mono shock. He reinforced the tail section beneath the seat with an X-frame design and lowered the front end. Special features include copper accents like hand-laced front wheels and rear sets wrapped in 14-3 electrical wire.
1. Thomas Foulds, Working Class Choppers – Jizzeppi, ’82 Suzuki GS450
2. Speakeasy Motors – Raw Dog, ’77 CB750F Super Sport
3. Justin Reid Lonwood Customs – The Rising Star, ’82 CB750
Editor’s Choice Cycle Fab
People’s Choice – Speakeasy Motors & Joan Mernick
SHO DOG Award
Metal Scorpio won the Rocking K Custom Leathers chain wallet
Speedmill Customs won the Garage Leathers’ solo bag
To get your bike into the next show, make the jump to www.custombikeshows.com