Drag site icon to your taskbar to pin site. Learn More

Dr. Frazier’s Elephant Ride Adventure Photo Gallery

Photos from the history of Dr. Frazier's Colorado Elephant Ride.

Two original not-too-shy Elephant Ride entrants, “Demented Dave” Tharp and “Dr. Moto” Frazier in an early Elephant Mountain Conquest photo.
The Elephant Ride was based out of BMW of Denver where entrants would congregate before riding to Grant, Colorado for an evening of camping and frolicking.
The Platte River Inn at Grant, Colorado, also known as Stinkey’s Corral, was the official home for evening and early morning Elephant Ride swilling, chilling and elephant burgers.
A BMW sported elephant ears for the Elephant Ride one year, non-official BMW farkle.
Look out elephants, here come the Elephant Riders!
In the evening hard core Elephant Riders had to break ground through deep snow to the camping area.
On the morning of the Elephant Ride campers learned to warm their engines near a campfire to make starting possible in -0- degree and below temperatures.
At the official Start of the Elephant Ride it was obvious there was no “Gentlemen, start your engines!” as no flag was dropped and equipment was “run what you brung.” Mountain mayhem followed.
Clem Cykowski (left), one of the original five Elephant Mountain Conquest riders, switched from a sidecar to a solo motorcycle years following saying, “Sidecars made it too easy.” Note the elephant snout on the BMW’s windshield on the right.
Making a rear tire chain for the 1931 Henderson was a test for cold weather survival, temperature being -10 degrees below -0-.
Justin Hill began the “old motorcycle” Elephant Riding fun when he rode his 1945 Indian Chief.
I put knobby tires of my 1936 Indian Sport Scout racer and managed to summit one year. A month later the Indian was on the high bank at Daytona with a different set of tires and no headlight, but the same foolish pilot.
Several sidecars worked well for driver and passenger, except for the one that went over a 100 foot drop off down into the trees below.
John Richardson (RIP) of Evergreen, Colorado mounted knobby tires on his BMW K100RS, and then studded them with hand screwed sheet metal screws, to successfully reach to top of Guanella Pass.
Late one night a stuffed toy elephant was pulled behind a motorcycle. The next day the elephant suffered badly from numerous flips and flops at higher speeds up the mountain pass.
A sample of cold adventure riding is pictured here as Elephant Riders encountered heavy snow when they neared to the top of Guanella Pass.
Crashes were sometimes caused by a front rider going down and those behind followed suit when trying to avoid the downed rider or their motorcycle, part of the mayhem called Elephant Ride adventure fun.
A 1992 letter to entrants after the Elephant Ride indicated we had a Social Director, Assistant Social Director and Planning Committee, none of which I ever met.
A Triumph reached the summit of Guanella Pass. Note the huge hand protectors for warmth.
This “snortin’ Norton” entered the Elephant Ride more than once.
In blizzard conditions riders wait for those following to join them at Guanella Pass.
Elephant Riders watched a large paper mache elephant being prepared for a final send off.
One year this large stuffed elephant disappeared with the help of some pyro-aids to the roar of the crazed entrants. “Why?” someone asked. The answer was neither politically correct nor printable in below freezing conditions.
A coveted Certificate from the 1992 Elephant Ride, certified by I. C. Sundae, also known as Ice Cream Sundae, a keeshond dog that rode along in the 1992 Elephant Ride.
An original bumper sticker from the Elephant Ride, with the word verses misspelled on purpose as a poetic gesture to those entrants wanting something to wax and wane about.