got his race-winning mojo back at Fontana by claiming the checkers in Saturday's 28-lap Superbike race. The defending champ was joined on the podium by main rival and teammate, Mat Mladin
, and Yamaha's Eric Bostrom
. For E-Boz the podium means Bostrom has reached the Superbike rostrom with four different manufacturers: Yamaha, Ducati, Kawasaki, and Honda.
Ben Spies got his Superbike groove back at Fontana on Saturday, with the defending champion cruising to a six-second victory over Mladin.
Spies started the race from pole position, in fact the front row ended the exact way it started, with Spies, Mladin, Bostrom, and Yoshimura's third rider, Tommy Hayden, taking fourth in today's race. Usual podium finisher Miguel Duhamel rode his Honda CBR1000RR to fifth-place.
Duhamel was followed by American Honda teammate, Jake Zemke
, and Jordan Suzuki's Aaron Yates. Kawasaki's Roger Hayden, Yamaha's Jason DiSalvo, and MV Augusta Fast by Ferracci rider Matt Lynn rounded out the top 10.
The victory by Spies now extends his championship points lead over Mladin to 21.
"It was a good race," said Spies. "I got my butt kicked last weekend and we had to go back and regroup for this race. At the start, Mat and I were going back and forth, ruffling each others feathers, but I've got to thank my Yoshimura Suzuki crew and thank Suzuki because the GSX-R1000 is working good and it was great to go one-two with Suzuki today."
Another victory by the Yoshimura ace in tomorrow's 28-lap Superbike race will make his momentum reclamation from Mladin complete.
AMA Superbike Fontana Race 1 Results:
1. Ben Spies - Suzuki
2. Mathew Mladin - Suzuki +6.739
3. Eric Bostrom - Yamaha +9.025
4. Tommy Hayden - Suzuki +13.625
5. Miguel Duhamel - Honda +14.871
6. Jake Zemke - Honda +20.794
7. Aaron Yates - Suzuki +21.214
8. Roger Hayden - Kawasaki +37.967
9. Jason Disalvo - Yamaha +51.522
10. Matt Lynn - MV Agusta +59.911
AMA Superbike Championship Points:
1. Spies - 148
2. Mladin - 127
3. Duhamel - 116
4. T. Hayden - 103
5. Zemke - 100
Josh Hayes jumped out to the early lead from his pole position start in the 17-lap Formula Xtreme race. The Erion Honda rider was never challenged as rivals sloughed off until it was just teammate Aaron Gobert following in Hayes' wake.
Hayes cruised to yet another FX victory, with Gobert holding on to second. Earning a third-place finish was Ducati rider, Larry Pegram, making it the first time since this season that a Twin-powered bike has seen an AMA podium.
Celtic Yamaha's Chaz Davies was fourth in the Fontana FX contest, followed by M4 EMGO's Mike Barnes, with Barney riding in second at one point in the race before fading to fifth. Daytona 200 winner, Steve Rapp, finished a disappointing sixth on his Attack Kawasaki.
MotorcycleUSA test rider and soon-to-be Isle of Man competitor, Jimmy Moore, returned to AMA action finishing 13th on a Ducati 749R.
Fontana Formula Xtreme Results:
1. Joshua Hayes - Honda - ---
2. Aaron Gobert - Honda - +6.255
3. Larry Pegram - Ducati - +9.252
4. Chaz Davies - Yamaha - +9.634
5. Michael Barnes - Suzuki - +10.039
6. Steve Rapp - Kawasaki - +10.219
7. Barrett Long - Yamaha - +39.387
8. Jason Perez - Yamaha - +39.902
9. Jeremy Toye - Kawasaki - +46.835
10. Kenny Carlotta - Suzuki - +47.384
Formula Xtreme Championship Points:
1. Hayes - 101
2. Rapp - 91
3. Barnes - 71
4. Gobert - 64
5. Pegram - 61
Chaz Davies claimed the first AMA pole position of his young career for tomorrow's 17-lap Supersport race. The Celtic Yamaha rider bested a bevy of SS talent and will be joined on the front row by M4 EMGO Suzuki's Geoff May, Monster Energy Kawasaki's Roger Hayden, and Erion Honda's Josh Hayes.
Fontana Supersport Qualifying Results:
1. Chaz Davies - Yamaha - 1:27.035
2. Geoff May - Suzuki - 1:27.084
3. Roger Lee Hayden - Kawasaki - 1:27.223
4. Joshua Hayes - Honda - 1:27.384
5. Aaron Gobert - Honda - 1:27.391
6. Michael F Barnes - Suzuki - 1:27.451
7. Ben Attard - Kawasaki - 1:27.468
8. Jamie A Hacking - Kawasaki - 1:27.516
9. Danny C Eslick - Suzuki - 1:27.619
10. Tommy Hayden - Suzuki - 1:27.910
Saturday was a very good day for Ben Spies at Fontana, on top of winning the Superbike race the young Texan also claimed pole position in both Superbike and Superstock. Tied for the championship lead in the support class, Spies qualified just ahead of the man he is tied with, Jordan Suzuki's Aaron Yates. Once again Yates was followed on the timesheet by teammate Jake Holden. Geoff May rounds out the Row-1 starters. The only non-Suzuki competitor with championship clout, Yamaha's Ben Bostrom, was fifth-fastest and will start tomorrow's race from Row 2.
Fontana Superstock Qualifying Results:
1. Ben Spies - Suzuki - 1:24.804
2. Aaron Yates Suzuki - 1:25.203
3. Jake Holden - Suzuki - 1:25.237
4. Geoff May - Suzuki - 1:25.268
5. Ben Bostrom - Yamaha - 1:25.437
6. Chris Ulrich - Suzuki - 1:26.082
7. Danny Eslick - Suzuki - 1:26.452
8. Martin Cardenas - Kawasaki - 1:26.517
9. Blake Young - Suzuki - 1:27.159
10. Jason Curtis - Suzuki - 1:27.198