Honda TT Legends rider John McGuinness became the first rider to average over 130 mph on the Mountain Course during Wednesday's Qualifying session.
In the ever changing landscape known as the Isle of Man, temperatures were down and grey clouds ominously hung over the mountain course Wednesday. Fortunately, road conditions were dry for the 2012 Isle of Man TT Races fueled by Monster Energy which allowed Honda TT Legends’ rider John McGuinness to become the first competitor to break the 130 mph mark around the Isle’s Mountain Course, posting an 130.079 mph average on his second run Wednesday. Blazing through the Sulby speed trap at 190.1 mph, McGuinness continues to prove that he will be the man to beat this weekend as the Honda rider has posted the fastest times on all three days of qualifying so far.
Padgett’s MMCG Racing’s Bruce Antsey put up the second-fastest Superbike qualifying time with a late flying lap of 129.566 mph. The only other Superbike rider to lap in the 129 mph range was Wilson Craig Racing’s Cameron Donald with a 129.075 mph average, good for third-best on the day. As the day wore on, traffic began affecting lap times and when the mist rolled in thick around the Douglas area, the session was ultimately called off before the F2 Sidecars could take to the course.
This didn’t prevent the Dunlop brothers from continuing to rule the top of the Supersport class timesheets. Wilson Craig Racing’s William Dunlop attacked the course first on his Honda 600 before switching to his Superbike, posting the best results of the day with a 126.184 mph effort. Brother Michael was the only Supersport rider who even came close to William’s pace with a 124.521 mph average which was still 1.663 mph slower. The third-fastest rider of the day, Dan Kneen, was more than two miles per hour off of Michael’s pace at 122.359 mph.
Tyco Suzuki's Guy Martin was one of the first riders out on course Wednesday and proceeded to put up the fourth-fastest qualifying time in the Superbike session.
Guy Martin and James Hillier were the first two riders out on the course Wednesday. Martin would proceed to lay down a first lap average of 128.448 mph, a mark the Tyco Suzuki rider would best on his second outing with a 128.866 mph lap which was good enough for fourth-best on the day in the Superbike class.
Meanwhile, Hillier’s 127.811 mph was the fastest lap he’s ever recorded around the Mountain Course, pushing him to the top spot in Wednesday’s Superstock Qualifying session. Honda TT Legends rider Simon Andrews also had a strong outing as he too logged a lap in the 127 mph range with a 127.376 mph effort, good for second-best on the day. William Dunlop backed up his timesheet-topping Supersport effort with the third-fastest average in the Superstock class as well, piloting his Wilson Craig Racing Honda to a 126.913 mph average around the Isle.
Though the Sidecars got bested by the weather on Wednesday, hopefully they’ll be a go for Thursday’s practice session.
2012 Isle of Man TT Wednesday Qualifying Superbike:
1. John McGuinness (Honda) 130.079 mph
2. Bruce Anstey (Honda) 129.566 mph
3. Cameron Donald (Honda) 129.075 mph
4. Guy Martin (Suzuki) 128.866 mph
5. James Hillier (Kawasaki) 127.811 mph
6. Michael Dunlop (Honda) 127.546 mph
7. Dan Stewart (Honda) 127. 453 mph
8. Simon Andrews (Honda) 127.376 mph
9. Gary Johnson (Honda) 127.287 mph
10. Michael Rutter (Kawasaki) 127.094 mph
2012 Isle of Man TT Wednesday Qualifying Supersport:
1. William Dunlop (Honda) 126.184 mph
2. Michael Dunlop (Yamaha) 124.521 mph
3. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) 122.359 mph
4. Gary Johnson (Honda) 121.481 mph
5. Ryan Farquhar (Kawasaki) 121.246 mph
6. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) 120.790 mph
7. Dan Stewart (Honda) 119.795 mph
8. Ivan Lintin (Kawasaki) 119.433 mph
9. James Hillier (Kawasaki) 118.554 mph
10. Stefano Bonetti (Honda) 118.305 mph
2012 Isle of Man TT Wednesday Qualifying Superstock:
1. James Hillier (Kawasaki) 127.811 mph
2. Simon Andrews (Honda) 127.376 mph
3. William Dunlop (Honda) 126.913 mph
4. Bruce Anstey (Honda) 125.856 mph
5. John McGuinness (Honda) 126.159 mph
6. Gary Johnson (Honda) 126.135 mph
7. Ryan Farquhar (Kawasaki) 125.503 mph
8. Steve Mercer (Honda) 125.379 mph
9. Guy Martin (Suzuki) 125.366 mph
10. David Johnson (Kawasaki) 124.648 mph
2012 Isle of Man TT Wednesday Qualifying Sidecar:
Postponed due to weather.