Guy Martin won Superbike Race 1 at the Ulster Grand Prix and was given the "Man of the Meeting" Award.
’s Guy Martin beat out the competition in the premier event of the Ulster Grand Prix Bike Week in Ireland. Honda
Padgett’s MMCG Racing’s Gary Johnson followed just over five seconds behind and Martin’s teammate Conor Cummins rounded out the podium.
Johnson came through the first of seven laps in the lead, slightly ahead of Martin and Hunts/McAdoo Racing’s Michael Dunlop. Martin made it to the front by the end of Lap 2 and holding the lead to the checkers. Johnson and Dunlop battled for second, passing one another a number of times before the end. Neither was able to make a pass stick on Martin though, and Dunlop ended up scoring a DNF for the round after pulling out of the race during the fifth lap. On top of scoring the Superbike win, Martin also received the “Man of the Meeting” Award.
“It's been a great week at Dundrod and it's always the job to win the main Ulster Grand Prix Superbike race,” said Martin. “The bikes worked superbly today, so thanks to the boys and also to Pirelli
who put in a big effort this week. It's nice to reward them with the main race win. Man of the Meeting is a bonus, but a great week overall."
Cummins had been engaged in his own fight for fourth place with Johnson’s teammate Bruce Anstey and KMR Kawasaki
’s Ryan Farquhar, but prevailed, once Dunlop exited, in holding the final spot on the rostrum through the last two laps.
Martin's teammate Conor Cummins (10) earned third-place in both Superbike races at the Ulster Grand Prix.
“I was just starting to get in the groove as the weekend ended, with my season really only starting so late, but it was a mint meeting,” said Cummins.
Anstey held to fourth at the finish, followed by AMA Racing’s Adrian Archibald in fifth and Farquhar in sixth. ILR Kawasaki’s Ian Lougher took seventh with MPRSC’s Michael Pearson in eighth and Team RC express Racing’s Dean Harrison taking ninth. BMW
rider Rob Barber rounded out the top ten.
Dunlop took the win in Race 2, coming across the finish just 0.360 ahead of Martin with Cummins once again following in third. Johnson followed a fraction of a second behind in fourth and Farquhar rounded out the top five.
Martin came out in Race 2 and led the first half of the race, but Dunlop was able to get past and hold steady out front for the final three laps. Cummins blasted past Johnson on the final lap to score the final step on the rostrum.
In Supersport action, William Dunlop of Wilson Craig Racing and Bruce Anstey battled one another out front in both races and splitting wins. Dunlop came out on top in Race 1 by just 0.123 over Anstey and Millsport Racing’s Lee Johnson rounded out the podium. In Race 2, Anstey bested Dunlop by 0.194 seconds and Conor Cummins took third.
Dunlop lead every lap of Race 1, though Anstey was right on his rear tire the entire time. Cummins held third for two of the three laps, but fell short as Johnston passed on the final lap. In Race 2, Dunlop posted a similar performance, leading all but the final lap. Cummins made it as high as second and never fell further than third despite intense pressure from Johnson, who finished fourth in the contest.
Michael Dunlop took the win in Superstock ahead of Lougher and Martin, who took second and third respectively. Anstey fell short of the podium by a fraction of a second in fourth and Cummins rounded out the top five.
Lougher and Martin battled in the opening laps for the front, each taking a turn in the lead. Dunlop started to make his way up from fourth on the third lap, getting up to second place, and by the end of Lap 3 had taken the lead which he held to the checkers.
Ulster Grand Prix Superbike Race 2 Results:
Ulster Grand Prix Superbike Race 1 Results:
1. Michael Dunlop (Honda) 132.004 mph
2. Guy Martin (Suzuki) +0.360 131.964 mph
3. Conor Cummins (Suzuki) +12.296 130.673 mph
4. Gary Johnson (Honda) +12.810 130.618 mph
5. Ryan Farquhar (Kawasaki) +21.545 129.690 mph
6. Michael Pearson (Honda) +39.115 127.862 mph
7. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) +39.344 127.839 mph
8. Dean Harrison (Kawasaki) +39.722 127.800 mph
9. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) +40.313 127.740 mph
10. Adrian Archibald (Kawasaki) +40.941 127.675 mph
11. Bruce Anstey (Honda) +1:00.570 125.699 mph
12. Ben Wylie (BMW) +1:01.766 125.581 mph
13. Brian McCormack (Honda) +1:02.092 125.549 mph
14. John Burrows (Suzuki) +1:05.103 125.252 mph
15. Jamie Hamilton (Kawasaki) +1:09.238 124.846mph
1. Guy Martin (Suzuki) 131.453 mph
2. Gary Johnson (Honda) +5.49 130.945 mph
3. Conor Cummins (Suzuki) +13.928 130.172 mph
4. Bruce Anstey (Honda) +20.223 129.601 mph
5. Adrian Archibald (Kawasaki) +31.999 128.547 mph
6. Ryan Farquhar (Kawasaki) +33.949 128.374 mph
7. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) + 34.109 128.359 mph
8. Michael Pearson (Honda) + 47.396 127.194 mph
9. Dean Harrison (Kawasaki) +47.804 127.158 mph
10. Rob Barber (BMW) +48.013 127.140
11. Davy Morgan (Suzuki) +1:08.106 125.418 mph
12. Jami Hamilton (Kawasaki) +1:08.301 125.401 mph
13. Daniel Cooper (Honda) +1:08.717 125.366 mph
14. Ben Wylie (BMW) +1:23.608 124.121 mph
15. Brian McCormack (Honda) +1:25.175 123.991 mph
Ulster Grand Prix Supersport Race 2 Results:
Ulster Grand Prix Supersport Race 1 Results:
1. Bruce Anstey (Honda) 126.491 mph
2. William Dunlop (Honda) +0.194 126.472 mph
3. Conor Cummins (Suzuki) +10.916 125.405 mph
4. Gary Johnson (Honda) +18.039 124.706 mph
5. Lee Johnston (Honda) +20.087 124.507 mph
6. Michael Dunlop (Yamaha) + 20.148 124.501 mph
7. Guy Martin (Suzuki) +31.146 123.441 mph
8. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) +38.055 122.784 mph
9. Dean Harrison (Yamaha) +40.983 122.507 mph
10. Olie Linsdell (Yamaha) +41.652 122.444 mph
11. Ivan Shanley (Yamaha) +42.059 122.406 mph
12. Brian McCormack (Yamaha) +1:00.049 120.738 mph
13. David Mulligan (Yamaha) +1:00.476 120.699 mph
14. Michael Sweeney (Yamaha) +1:02.197 120.542 mph
15. Russ Mountford (Yamaha) +1:02.230 120.539 mph
1. William Dunlop (Honda) 125.612 mph
2. Bruce Anstey (Honda) +0.123 125.587 mph
3. Lee Johnston (Honda) +6.414 124.351 mph
4. Conor Cummins (Suzuki) +6.506 124.333 mph
5. Guy Martin (Suzuki) +8.662 123.915 mph
6. Michael Dunlop (Yamaha) +9.848 123.687 mph
7. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) +14.886 122.724 mph
8. Daniel Cooper (Triumph) +16.993 122.326 mph
9. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) +17.841 122.167 mph
10. Dean Harrison (Yamaha) +18.016 122.134 mph
11. Olie Linsdell (Yamaha) +25.689 120.711 mph
12. Robert Wilson (Kawasaki) +31.648 119.628
13. Michael Sweeney (Yamaha) +31.809 119.599 mph
14. Ivan Shanley (Yamaha) +32.021 119.561 mph
15. David Mulligan (Yamaha) +32.259 119.518 mph
Ulster Grand Prix Superstock Race Results:
Sadly, Lee Vernon passed away as a result of injuries sustained during the Dundrod Superbike contest Thursday. Noel Johnston, Clerk of the Course said; “I am deeply saddened by the news of Lee’s death. He first came to Dundrod as an 18 year old novice and has been back every year since. He was lovely lad and a credit to the sport and to his family. He will be sorely missed.”
1. Michael Dunlop (Kawasaki) 129.505 mph
2. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) +4.037 129.082 mph
3. Guy Martin (Suzuki) +5.321 128.948 mph
4. Bruce Anstey (Honda) +5.414 128.938 mph
5. Conor Cummins (Suzuki) +15.810 127.863 mph
6. Lee Johnston (Ducati) +16.445 127.798 mph
7. Dean Harrison (Kawasaki) +16.696 127.772 mph
8. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) +18.278 127.610 mph
9. Adrian Archibald (Kawasaki) +20.094 127.425 mph
10. Rob Barber (BMW) +20.434 127.390 mph
11. Jamie Hamilton (Kawasaki) +41.003 125.330 mph
12. Daniel Cooper (Honda) +46.462 124.795 mph
13. Brian McCormack (Honda) +46.637 124.778 mph
14. Stephen Thompson (BMW) +51.779 124.278 mph
15. Davy Morgan (BMW) +56.011 123.869 mph