Ian Hutchinson took the first win of the 2010 Isle of Man TT, the English rider outlasting local Conor Cummins in the opening PokerStars Superbike race. The Padgetts Honda ace was joined on the Superbike rostrum by Honda’s Michael Dunlop and Suzuki’s Cameron Donald.
Ian Hutchinson claimed the first victory of the 2010 Isle of Man TT in the Superbike race.
TT veteran and 15-time winner John McGuinness bolted out to an early lead, but Manx rider Conor Cummins soon appeared the man to beat in the six-lap race after McGuinness pulled off with mechanical troubles. Then Cummins ripped off a scorching 131.511 mph lap. The feat, just shy of the overall record, pulled the McAdoo Kawasaki in front, with Hutchinson following.
Trouble hit Cummins in the pits for refueling on Lap 4. His Kawasaki not firing up, Cummins lost valuable time on his immense lead before getting back underway. The Kawasaki gave out for good later that lap, however, with Cummins forced to retire, losing a chance for his first-ever TT victory.
With Cummins out of the picture, Hutchinson cruised to his fourth career TT victory. Craig Wilson Honda’s Guy Martin, who was following Hutchinson throughout much of the race, suffered a 30-second penalty for speeding in the pits on the same lap Cummins lost his lead, spoiling Martin’s podium chances. Instead Dunlop inherited second with Suzuki’s Cameron Donald back on the IOM TT steps again in third.
The next Superbike race will be the Senior TT finale.
2010 Isle of Man PokerStars Superbike TT Results:
1. Ian Hutchinson (Honda) 127.502mph
2. Michael Dunlop (Honda) 126.828mph
3. Cameron Donald (Suzuki) 126.638mph
4. Guy Martin (Honda) 126.586mph
5. Adrian Archibald (Suzuki) 126.514mph
6. Keith Amor (Honda) 126.467mph
7. Ian Lougher (Kawasaki) 124.895mph
8. Michael Rutter (Honda) 123.997mph
9. Daniel Stewart (Honda) 123.438mph
10. Ryan Farquhar (Kawasaki) 123.428mph
11. Bruce Anstey (Suzuki) 123.337mph
12. Dan Kneen (Suzuki) 122.088mph
13. Ian Mackman (Suzuki) 121.960mph
14. Davy Morgan (Suzuki) 121.798mph
15. Stephen Oates (Suzuki) 121.642mph
Longtime TT Sidecar pilot Klaus Klaffenbock claimed his first career victory at the historic circuit, also turning his fastest ever lap at the Isle en route to victory. Honda’s Klaffenbock and sidecar rider Dan Sayle managed to best the Kawasaki duo of Dave Molyneaux and Patrick Farrance. Tim Reeves and Dipash Chauhan rounded out the podium aboard a Honda. Molyneaux, who was fastest throughout practice, could not match Klaffenbock’s early pace.
2010 Isle of Man Sure Sidecar TT 1 Results:
1. Klaus Klaffenbock/Dan Sayle (Honda) 114.410mph
2. Dave Molyneux/Patrick Farrance (Kawasaki) 114.326mph
3. Tim Reeves/Dipash Chauhan (Honda) 112.676mph
4. Simon Neary/Paul Knapton (Honda) 112.344mph
5. Tony Elmer/Darren Marshall (Yamaha) 110.178mph
6. Gary Bryan/Gary Partridge (Honda) 110.027mph
7. Gregory Lambert/Jason Slous (Honda) 108.980mph
8. Bill Currie/Robert Biggs (Yamaha) 107.944mph
9. David Kimberley/Robert Bell (Honda) 107.025mph
10. Gordon Shand/Stuart Graham (Suzuki) 106.506mph