Even though it was Friday the 13th, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki
presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., didn’t let the idea of bad luck get in the way of a third consecutive victory inside the Kansas Expocentre. The reigning AMA Arenacross
Series champion grabbed his seventh win of the season, and took over the championship points lead in the process. Meanwhile, in the Arenacross Lites Class, Team Faith KTM
’s Kevin Johnson, of Spring, Texas, broke through for his first victory of the season.
Much like a week ago, the battle for the win in the premier Arenacross Class came between championship co-leaders Bowers and FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda
’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio. Out of the gate of the 25-lap main event, Gibson raced to the holeshot and attempted to check out on the field. Bowers wasn’t far behind, and began pacing his rival in second.
On Lap 12, Gibson made a slight bobble entering the whoops, allowing a waiting Bowers to capitalize and assume control of the race. Once out front, Bowers refused to relinquish the lead and carried it through the finish, giving him three straight dating back to his sweep of last weekend in Grand Rapids, Mich. Gibson minimized the damage to finish second for the third consecutive race, while Bella’s Cupcakes/Club MX Kawasaki’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio, finished third.
The impressive win by Bowers now gives him sole possession of the coveted red number plate heading into Saturday’s action, signifying him as the current leader in the quest for the championship.
Arenacross Lites Class competition signified the return of the Western Regional Championship, back in action for the first time since the opening round in October. Reigning Western Regional Champion Chad Cook, of Oklahoma City, Okla., grabbed the holeshot aboard his HOK Racing Kawasaki, but was quickly pressured by Johnson.
The pair trailed one another throughout the first half of the 18-lap main event before Johnson made his winning move. From there, Johnson pulled away to grab a popular win. Behind him, Dragon Racing Fuels/AG Motorsports KTM’s Michael Willard, of Newark, Ohio, fought his way from a mid-pack start to take over the runner-up spot in the final corner, while Cook held on to round out the podium in third.
In the Dash for Cash, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki’s Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., grabbed the win in the exciting four-lap shootout. All proceeds went to Teens Taking Action.
The Topeka Arenacross continues tomorrow night, with action set to kick off at 7 p.m. CT.
2012 AMA Arenacross Topeka Results:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
3. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
4. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
5. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
6. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
7. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
8. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM
10. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
2012 AMA Arenacross Lites Topeka Results:
1. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
2. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
3. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
4. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
5. Dalton Carlson, Dayton, Minn., KTM
6. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
7. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
8. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
9. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
10. Tony Archer, Waldorf, Md., KTM
2012 Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (7 wins) – 213
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 210
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (1 win) – 181
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 154
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 137
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 133
7. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
8. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 106
9. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 86
10. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM – 60
2012 Arenacross Western Regional Championship Points:
1. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 33
2. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 27
3. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 25
4. Aviery Hickey, Southlake, Texas, Honda – 11
5. Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 10
6. Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 9
7. Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda – 7
8. Devin Reed, Indianola, Iowa, Honda – 6
9. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 6
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com
For more information on the 2012 AMA Arenacross Series, log on to www.Arenacross.com
. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short email@example.com
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross