The first of two nights of action inside the Livestock Events Center kicked off the 22nd Reno Arenacross
on Friday night. Following a tough runner-up effort one week ago, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki
presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., bounced back to take his 11th win of the season. In the Arenacross Lites Class, Airide KTM’s Daniel Blair, of Lodi, Calif., won a very competitive main event to take his first win of the season.
Last week’s winner, FMF Power/Poynt Tuf Honda
’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, kicked off the 25-lap Arenacross Class Main Event by grabbing the early lead, but, just like the previous round, was trailed closely by Bowers. Gibson set an impressive pace, but Bowers stayed close. The opening laps saw the pair open a gap over the field, making it a two-rider battle for the win.
Gibson’s pace allowed him to open a near second advantage, but Bowers quickly began laying down the fastest laps on the track to get Gibson back within striking distance. On Lap 11, Bowers fought his way into the lead and continued to pull away after that.
At the finish, Bowers pulled away from Gibson by over six seconds. Dragon Racing Fuels/AG Motorsports KTM
’s Michael Willard, of Newark, Ohio, grabbed the final spot on the podium in third.
Bowers’ lead in the Arenacross Class Championship Standings now stands at 21 points with two main events remaining.
BNTQ.Net/Tuf Honda Racing’s Kevin Markwardt, of Freeport, Ill., opened up the 18-lap Arenacoss Lites Class Main Event by racing out to the early lead, with Blair and TZR Honda’s Scott Zont, of Algonquin, Ill., in tow. Motosport Hillsboro Kawasaki’s Tiger Lacy, of Beaverton, Ore., asserted himself in the lead pack just a few laps in, igniting an intense three-way chase for the win.
On Lap 10, Blair made his move into the lead, but Markwardt responded the very next lap. Unfortunately, a red flag nullified Markwardt’s response. Upon the restart, with Blair out front, the three riders resumed their battle. In his efforts track down Blair and subsequently fend off Lacy, Markwardt bobbled on Lap 16, allowing Lacy and others to slip by.
Blair fended off Lacy for the remaining couple laps to take the win by almost a second, while Reed and Reese Racing KTM’s Michael McDade, of Edinburg, Pa., followed the pair in third. The top five finishers in the Arenacross Lites Class were separated by less than four seconds, making it one of the most competitive races this season.
In the Dash for cash, Nathan Skaggs took the win in the four-lap sprint. All proceeds went to the local Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation and The Children’s Cabinet.
The Reno Arenacross continues tomorrow night with the final evening of competition. Action kicks off at 7:00 p.m. PT.
2012 AMA Arenacross Reno Results:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
3. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
4. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
6. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
7. Travis Sewell, Westville, IN, KTM
8. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
9. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
2012 Arenacross Lites Reno Results:
1. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
2. Tiger Lacy, Beaverton, Ore., Kawasaki
3. Michael McDade, Edinburg, Pa, KTM
4. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
5. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
6. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM
7. Chris Proscelle, Dulzura, Calif., Honda
8. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda
9. Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki
10. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (11 wins) – 377
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (3 wins) – 356
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 306
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM (1 win) – 262
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 252
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 236
7. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 206
8. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 155
9. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM – 145
10. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
2012 Western Regional Arenacross Lites Championship Points:
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 98
2. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 94
3. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 70
4. Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 46
5. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 37
6. Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda – 35
7. Chris Proscelle, Dulzura, Calif., Honda – 27
8. Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 24
9. Tiger Lacy, Beaverton, Ore., Kawasaki – 22
10. Nick Myers, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 22
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com
For more information on the 2012 AMA Arenacross Series, log on to www.Arenacross.com
. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short firstname.lastname@example.org
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross