With two rounds in the books, the 2009 AMA Arenacross Series continues its early-season march through the country with the round three of the 11-round championship in Dayton, Ohio from the historic Ervin J. Nutter Center at Wright State University.
Last weekend in Baltimore, Mary., the unpredictable action that has characterized the young title chase so far this year continued as series points leader Jeff Gibson earned his and Tuf Honda’s first win of the season on night one to go along with a third place effort on night two. So far, Gibson has failed to finish worse than third in 2009.
Also topping the results from 1st Mariner Arena was Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s equally consistent Nathan Skaggs. With a Saturday-night victory, Skaggs became the first repeat winner this season
While the rest of the AMA Arenacross Series’ heavy hitters continue to find their form and settle into the championship chase, their hunger for a win grows stronger each and every time the gate drops. Combine that intensity with the college sports-type atmosphere that will fill the Nutter Center on Saturday and you have a formula for an extremely entertaining night of action.
Last year in Dayton, Ohio native Brock Sellards earned the victory by holding off reigning series champion Chad Johnson and eventual series runner-up Kelly Smith in a heated battle. While Johnson appears to be coming into his own this season, Sellards has yet to find that consistency that has made him a legendary AMA Arenacross Series competitor. A race in front of his hometown crowd will surely add some fire to his drive.
In the ultra-competitive AMA Arenacross Lites class, the Midwest Division prepares for its second stop of a four-round championship. Points leader Willy Browning will lead the way aboard his Spinchillers/Storm Lake Honda Suzuki, looking for more success in front of a hometown Ohio crowd.
Last season, Travis Sewell, Tyler Bright, and Cory Green stood on the podium after an exciting evening of racing.
All Gold Circle Level seats cost just $25. Mid-level seats are $18 for adults and $5 for kids, ages 2-12. Upper level tickets are available for $10 for adults and $5 for kids. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race. Purchase at Nutter Center Box Office and Ticketmaster charge by phone at (937) 228-2323.
AMA Arenacross Class Results, (Baltimore)
1. Nathan Skaggs, Bainbridge, Ohio, Honda
2. Brock Sellards, Sherodsvile, Ohio, Kawasaki
3. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
5. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki
6. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
7. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha
8. Casey Hinson, Madera, Calif., Yamaha
9. Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Kawasaki
10. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda
AMA Arenacross Class Lites Results (Baltimore)
1. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
2. Willy Browning, Rushville, Ohio, Suzuki
3. Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., Suzuki
4. Brock Sellards, Sherodsvile, Ohio, Kawasaki
5. Cody Gilmore, Spencer, Iowa, Honda
6. Matt Cottrill, Chillicothe, Ohio, Yamaha
7. Justin Berry, Edmond, Okla., Kawasaki
8. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Kawasaki
9. Ben Ritter, St. Mary’s, Pa., Suzuki
10. Kyle Glass, Hudsonville, Mich., Honda
AMA Arenacross Class Points (After Race 4 of 17)
1. Jeff Gibson, Thornville, Ohio, Honda – 87
2. Nathan Skaggs, Bainbridge, Ohio, Honda – 79
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 57
4. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M, Yamaha – 54
5. Brock Sellards, Sherodsville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 54
6. Michael Willard, Thornville, Ohio, Kawasaki – 54
7. Codi Adams, Batavia, Ohio, Yamaha – 48
8. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki - 42
9. Shane Sewell, Westville, Ind., Kawasaki – 42
10. Tyler Bright, Lexington, N.C., Suzuki – 40
11. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Kawasaki – 40
Tickets are available online at www.arenacross.com
. For more information on the AMA Arenacross Series log on to www.arenacross.com