Since taking over the 2011 AMA Arenacross
Series points lead in front of his hometown crowd in Louisville three weeks ago, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki
presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers has not been beaten by his Arenacross class competitors. After yet another convincing performance last weekend in Sacramento, Bowers series-leading six victories and four-race winning streak have given him considerable momentum as the championship heads to Wichita on Saturday night.
The AMA Arenacross Series will make its debut from the Intrust Bank Arena with one of the most impressive single-season performances leading the way, in addition to further history being made by a talented female in the Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship.
Through eight rounds, Bowers has posted nine podium finishes in 11 races with a worst finish of fourth. His impressive consistency combined with a season-worst outing in Sacramento by TUF Honda
’s Jeff Gibson, who sits second in the standings, has resulted in a 22-point lead for Bowers coming into Wichita. Additionally, Bowers’ Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki teammate Chad Johnson has made gains of his own, sitting just an additional 10 points behind Gibson in third.
While the nation’s fastest riders in the Arenacross class are ready to leave their mark from one of the Midwest’s newest venues, the up-and-comers of the Arenacross Lites Western Regional Championship bring their enthusiasm and raw speed to Intrust Bank Arena as well. Currently, Kawasaki-mounted veteran Tiger Lacey is the hottest rider in the class, boasting a three-race winning streak, but the ever-consistent Chad Cook currently has a firm grasp on the championship standings, boasting a 44-point advantage over the field.
Another Arenacross Lites rider garnering headlines as the Western Regional Championship hosts its fifth round of the season is female rider Vicki Golden. Since making the historic decision to become the first full-time female competitor in AMA Arenacross Series history, Golden has been knocking at the door to make the inaugural main event for her and any female competitor prior. Last Saturday, that barrier was broken thanks to a stellar heat race from Golden that was highlighted by her first career AMA Arenacross Series holeshot. While her good fortune didn’t carry over into the main event, she learned valuable lessons and proved to herself and the entire racing community that females have what it takes to go head-to-head against the men. This Saturday, she’ll look for more in Wichita.
Advance tickets are available for the Wichita Arenacross at the Intrust Bank Arena Box Office, Ticketmaster charge by phone and ticketmaster.com. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.
2011 Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 252
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 230
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 220
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 171
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 165
6. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 153
7. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 146
8. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 144
9. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 127
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 118
2011 Arenacross Western Regional Chapionship Points:
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 127
2. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 83
3. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha – 80
4. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki – 77
5. Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki – 75
6. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha – 63
7. Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM – 50
8. Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda – 44
9. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 42
10. Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki – 42
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com
. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at email@example.com
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross