The recent dominance of Babbitt’s Monster Energy
presented by Maxxis rider Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., continued on Saturday night as he raced to his sixth straight AMA Arenacross
Series victory from the BI-LO Center. In the Arenacross Lites main event, Jimmy Weinert Racing Honda
’s Tyler Bright, of Sumter, S.C., grabbed his first win of the 2011 season.
In front of his home crowd Tyler Bright scored a victory in the Lites main.
As the gates dropped on the Arenacross class main event, TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, grabbed the early lead and looked to regain the momentum he had in the early portion of the season. However, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki’s Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., took over the top spot from Gibson after just a handful of laps and looked to gap the field. Behind him, Bowers moved past Gibson as well and set his sights on his teammate. It wasn’t long before Bowers caught Johnson and overtook him for the lead and the eventual win.
Johnson stayed strong in second, recording his fourth consecutive runner-up finish in a dominant month for the Babbitt’s team. By virtue of his second-place effort, Johnson also moved into a tie for second in the Arenacross class championship with Gibson, who fell to fourth by the conclusion of the main event. Rounding out the podium with his best result of the season was Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Zach Ames, of Prospect, Ohio.
Bowers advantage over Gibson and Johnson in the championship is now at 38 points.
After a three-week break, the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship returned to action in Greenville. Series veteran Bright took advantage of the opportunity to compete in front of his hometown crowd and put forth an impressive effort, grabbing his first win of the season. He later moved on to post a commendable 13th-place finish in the Arenacross main event, almost immediately after 18 laps on intense Arenacross Lites action.
Following Bright on the podium was Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, in second, giving the Spinechillers Racing team a memorable night. Five Star Cycle KTM
’s Kenneth Henry, of Ashtabula, Ohio, rounded out the podium in third.
Massie’s runner-up effort helped increase is lead in the Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship standings to 29 points over Hot Rod MX Racing Honda’s Austin Coon, of Spencer, W.Va.
The AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend from the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, beginning at 7 p.m. CT.
2011 AMA Arenacross Greenville Results:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
3. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
4. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
5. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
6. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
7. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
8. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda
9. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha
10. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., Suzuki
2011 AMA Arenacross Lites Greenville Results:
1. Tyler Bright, Sumter, S.C., Honda
2. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda
3. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM
4. Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda
5. Chris Osborne, Charlotte, N.C., Yamaha
6. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
7. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha
8. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki
9. Nicholas Lane, Great Mills, Md., Suzuki
10. Clay Elliott, Salem, Ohio, Suzuki
2011 AMA Arenacross Championship Points:
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 302
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 264
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 264
4. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 203
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 199
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 177
7. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 171
8. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Ho nda – 153
9. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 152
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 145
2011 AMA Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Points:
1. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 125
2. Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 96
3. Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
4. Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
5. Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
6. Kyle Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Suzuki – 63
7. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 56
8. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 56
9. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 47
10. Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 38
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com
. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at firstname.lastname@example.org
Never miss out on the latest news! Follow the AMA Arenacross Series on Facebook and Twitter! Log on to http://www.facebook.com/AMAarenacross