The 42nd annual SCORE Tecate Baja 500 ATV
class was won by Honda
’s Wayne Matlock, Josh Caster and Wes Miller on the big, bad TRX700XX with an average speed of 42.15 mph. It is Matlock’s second win in three years. The overall race winners from the JCR Honda motorcycle team averaged 49.9 mph but the interesting statistic is the 47.2 mph average of the 850-horsepower of the first place McMillin Racing trophy truck which has the ATV team only 5 mph down to the sickest off-road vehicles on the planet. Impressive effort form the 289 starters and 192 finishers for a finish percentage of 66.4%, the fourth highest total in the four decade history of the event.
The JCR Honda team of Wayne Matlock, Josh Caster and Wes Miller took first-place at the 42nd Baja 500 aboard the TRX700XX.
“The race was really good,” explained Matlock. “It was definitely a challenging course. We had some problems in the beginning of the course and had some slip-ups in the pits. After that, we put our heads down and everybody did their job and here we are. It was a pretty beat-up course this time but it was fun. I’d like to thank all of my teammates for getting the quad back up there and working hard and got us up into first place.”
In Class 24 the win went to the Roberto Villalobos and Jorge Acosta team aboard a Honda TRX450R. They finished 13-minutes ahead of runner-up squad led by Brandon Brown. He was teamed with another friend of ours, Nick Nelson. Those of you who follow MCUSA might recall that we did a feature on Nelson and his team’s journey in the Baja 1000 back in 2005.
“When Roberto was out there around race mile 160 or 170, he passed every single (Class 24 ATV) but then he fell and we had a little problem with the suspension,” Jorge Acosta of the Villalobos team. “We got that fixed and had no other problems. The engine worked great. This is my first SCORE win in Baja and it feels good. (Were you surprised you were able to start 17th and still win?) I obviously know Roberto is a good rider and I have a good bike and I don’t think I ride bad at all.”
1. Wayne Matlock/Josh Caster/Wes Miller USA (Honda 700XX) 10:24:35 (42.15mph)
2. Javier Robles/Adolfo Arellano/Ramirez, Mexico (Honda TRX450R) 11:14:30
3. Craig Christy/Dave Scott/Lagzdins/Mitchell USA (Honda TRX700XX) 11:33:40
4. Josh Edwards/ Travis Dillon/Robbie Cockrell USA (Honda TRX450R) 11:40:46
5. Miguel Olivas/Montoya/Cossio/Campos Mexico (Honda TRX450R) 12:12:22
(5 Starters, 5 Finishers)
1. Roberto Villalobos/Jorge Acosta USA (Honda TRX450R) 11:40:50 (37.57mph)
2. Brandon Brown/Williams/Kelley/Nelson USA (Honda TRX450R) 11:53:35
3. Craig Christy/Jason Wade/Joe Bernal USA (Honda TRX450R) 12:09:55
4. Marco Marrujo/Jesus Lopez/Jesus Mangia Mexico (Honda TRX450R) 12:13:12
5. Roberto Ruiz/Rodolfo Navarro USA (Honda TRX450R) 12:37:55
6. Efren Carrasco/Cristian Valles/Juan Guillen USA (Yamaha 450YFZR) 12:48:21
7. Heriberto Marquez/David Nunez/Julio Gomez Mexico (Honda TRX450R) 12:58:04
8. Luis Berumen/Sergio Lopez Jr. Mexico (Honda TRX450R) 13:18:50
9. Joselito Muro/Edgar Barraza/Rosendo Rico USA (Honda TRX450R) 13:32:42
10. Alonzo Ruiz/Cesar Chanate/Phethers Mexico, (Honda TRX450R) 13:36:36