Beta rider Cody Webb defended his King of the Motos title with a victory in the 2014 extreme enduro. The Motorcycle Superstore-sponsored Webb was joined on the KOM podium by fellow factory-backed enduro competitors Taylor Robert (KTM) and Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna).
Held during the King of the Hammers event at Johnson Valley, California, the KOM is a grueling extreme enduro challenge. For 2014 the King of the Motos format included two timed loops, one in the morning and one in the afternoon – with combined times determining the finishing order. Of the 34 Pro entries listed, only 23 completed both loops as the afternoon session took its toll.
Webb earned the win via his strong performance in the afternoon, gaining almost four minutes on the eventual runner up, Robert, who was the leader after the opening morning loop. Jarvis, the 2012 KOM champ, poached the final podium spot on the second loop from eventual fourth-place finisher Kyle Redmond.
The arduous second loop took out some notable KOM Pro entries, the most prominent being GNCC champion Kailub Russell. The afternoon loop also culled almost the entire 32-rider field in the Amateur ranks, with only two riders, Michael Allen and Erin James, completing both loops and impressively finishing a respective 20th and 22nd overall.
2014 King of the Motos Results:
1. Cody Webb (0:57:35/1:40:26) 2:38:01
2. Taylor Robert (0:56:08/1:44:11) 2:40:19
3. Graham Jarvis (1:02:43/1:44:36) 2:47:19
4. Kyle Redmond (1:02:17/1:49:02) 2:51:19
5. Noah Kepple (1:07:42/2:23:10) 3:30:52
6. Mitch Carvolth (1:15:28/2:29:11) 3:44:39
7. Kale Elworthy (1:13:03/2:44:09) 3:57:12
8. Ty Tremaine (1:11:38/2:46:22) 3:58:00
9. Travis Coy (1:10:42/2:47:34) 3:58:16
10. Peter Weiss (1:18:47/2:48:10) 4:06:57