FIat Yamaha's Jorgo Lorenzo set the fastest lap at Silverstone ahead of Ducati's Casey Stoner and Honda's Andrea Dovizioso.
In the first practice at the British Grand Prix in Silverstone it was none other than championship leader Jorge Lorenzo who took the best time, becoming the only rider in the field to go under the 2’06” mark on the new circuit layout. Closely following Lorenzo’s pace was Ducati
Marlboro’s Casey Stoner with a time of 2'06.133 and Repsol Honda
’s Andrea Dovizioso, whose recorded lap of 2'06.347 was good enough for third.
's Lorenzo set the fastest time with just 11 minutes left in practice during which rain began to periodically fall. Despite these changing track conditions the Spaniard out-paced Stoner, who is one of only two riders to have previously raced at the Silverstone track.
"I'm happy with our first day's work here at Silverstone and I've really enjoyed the new circuit” said Lorenzo. “It's fast and fun to ride. We've worked really hard and I've ridden a lot of laps in order to begin to understand every corner and every straight. Unfortunately it was cold today and the asphalt was cold too, which meant that without any reference points in the beginning it was quite difficult, but hopefully tomorrow and Sunday will be better.”
Fresh off the podium at Mugello, Dovizioso extended his impressive riding at Silverstone by falling only four-tenths off Lorenzo. Randy de Puniet managed to set the pace at the start of the session, but eventually ran fourth on the timesheets after Lorenzo turned up the heat.
Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Ben Spies took fifth on the new track and was 1.259 seconds off Lorenzo. Despite being more than a second adrift the leader’s pace, Spies was happy with his performance as it was ahead of Honda’s Dani Pedrosa best lap by nearly four-tenths.
Also taking times in the top-10 were San Carlo Honda’s Marco Melandri in seventh and Ducati’s Aleix Espargaro in eighth. Rounding out the ten best times were Marco Simocelli and Nicky Hayden, taking ninth and tenth respectively.
MotoGP Silverstone Friday Practice Results:
Andrea Dovizioso started the weekend well in Great Britain by taking third in free practice behind Lorenzo and Stoner.
1. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2'05.991
2. Casey Stoner (Ducati) 2'06.133
3. Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) 2'06.347
4. Randy De Puniet (Honda) 2'06.439
5. Ben Spies (Yamaha) 2'07.250
6. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2'07.586
7. Marco Melandri (Honda) 2'07.588
8. Aleix Espargaro (Ducati) 2'07.927
9. Marco Simoncelli (Honda) 2'07.951
10. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 2'08.300
11. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 2'08.452
12. Colin Edwards (Yamaha) 2'08.525
13. Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki) 2'08.666
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda) 2'09.639
15. Loris Capirossi (Suzuki) 2'09.805
16. Mika Kallio (Ducati) 2'10.227
Technomag-CIP’s Shoya Tomizawa was the fastest rider on the track during Friday’s Moto2 free practice. The Japanese rider who is currently second in the championship series took a 2'28.020 lap that was good enough for first
Toni Elias (#24) struggled in practice on Friday at Silverstone, taking the 22nd best time.
ahead of Anthony West and Xavier Simeon as weather conditions which troubled the MotoGP session worsened throughout the Moto2 practice.
Lagging just 0.582 seconds behind Tomizawa was the Australian West who took second under difficult conditions. Simeon, filling in for the injured Yannick Guerra on the Holiday Gym G22 team, was third and just over a tenth behind West.
Cardion AB Motoracing’s Karel Abraham maneuvered through the west conditions well to take fourth in the books ahead of Alex de Angelis, who after taking the fifth-fastest time fell at the end of the session.
Marc VDS Racing’s Scott Redding was the sixth-quickest rider on the new layout at Silverstone, followed by Alex Baldolini and Dominique Aegerter. Rounding out the top-10 times were riders Arne Tode and Jules Cluzel, who took ninth and tenth respectively.
Some of the top riders in the championship struggled, including Simone Corsi who took 21st followed by current points leader Toni Elias who took 22nd.
Moto2 Silverstone Friday Practice Results:
Taking 10th in free practice on Friday was Forward Racing's Jules Cluzel (#16) with a time of 2'29.659.
1. Shoya Tomizawa (Suter) 2'28.020
2. Anthony West (Honda) 2'28.602
3. Xavier Simeon (Moriwaki) 2'28.733
4. Karel Abraham (FTR) 2'28.759
5. Alex De Angelis (Force GP210) 2'29.189
6. Scott Redding (Suter) 2'29.267
7. Alex Baldolini (I.C.P.) 2'29.342
8. Dominique Aegerter (Suter) 2'29.364
9. Arne Tode (Suter) 2'29.658
10. Jules Cluzel (Suter) 2'29.659
11. Thomas Luthi (Moriwaki) 2'29.745
12. Claudio Corti (Suter) 2'29.923
13. Vladimir Leonov (Suter) 2'29.965
14. Lukas Pesek (Moriwaki) 2'29.972
15. Gabor Talmacsi (Speed Up) 2'29.992