The 2011 World Superbike
season kicked off with official testing at the Portimao circuit. Ducati
rider Jakub Smrz topped the Day 1 timesheets, the new Teamm Effenbert-Liberty Racing pilot edging out Castrol Ten Kate Honda’s Jonathan Rea, who was the fastest rider in the morning session.
Jakub Smrz tops the Day 1 timesheet as the 2011 World Superbike season kicks off with the Portimao test.
Following the front-running pair were Superbike rookie Eugene Laverty, aboard the factory Yamaha, with Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes running fourth-fastest. The results put four different manufacturers in the top four positions.
Althea Racings’s Carlos Checa was fifth-fastest on the day, the Spaniard and former GP veteran figuring to be the strongest Ducati
entry on the grid with the Xerox factory squad withdrawn this season. Speaking of GP vets, the reigning champ, Max Biaggi
, was sixth fastest on the sheet aboard the Alitalia Aprilia – three tenths off the pace. Biaggi’s teammate, Leon Camier, was three positions adrift of The Emperor.
Former factory Ducati man, Michel Fabrizio, marked his return to the Alstare Suzuki squad with a seventh-fastest result. Meanwhile former Alstare rider, now Smrz’s Ducati teammate, Sylvain Guintoli was eighth on the sheet.
World Supersport promotion Joan Lascorz rounded out the top 10 on his new Kawasaki Superbike. Others making notable debuts on new squads, James Toseland
was 11th for BMW, followed by Noriyuki Haga
in 12th aboard the PATA Aprilia and Ruben Xaus in 13th on his new Castrol Honda mount.
2011 World Superbike Portimao Test Day 1:
1. Jakub Smrz (Ducati) 1'43.503
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1'43.676
3. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha) 1'43.707
4. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'43.770
5. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1'43.789
6. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1'43.840
7. Michel Fabrizio (Suzuki) 1'43.879
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Ducati) 1'44.369
9. Leon Camier (Aprilia) 1'44.446
10. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki) 1'44.752
11. James Toseland (BMW) 1'44.764
12. Noriyuki Haga (Aprilia) 1'44.857
13. Ruben Xaus (Honda) 1'44.885
14. Maxime Berger (Ducati) 1'44.886
15. Marco Melandri (Yamaha) 1'45.461
16. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'45.678