Jonathan Rea, the second-fastest rider during the opening day of testing, took the top time in Day 2 at Portimao.
Castrol Honda rider Jonathan Rea took the top time during the second day of World Superbike
testing at Poritmao. The season opening test at the Portuguese circuit was marred during Day 2 by wet conditions, which dropped lap times by more than 10 seconds off yesterday’s times.
Rea, who was second-fastest on Day 1, was the only rider to dip under the 1’55 mark. The Honda man was followed on the sheet by World SBK rookie, Marco Melandri, aboard the factory Yamaha
. Althea Ducati
’s Carlos Checa was third-fastest.
The quickest rider from Day 1, Effenbert Liberty Ducati’s Jakub Smrz, was fifth-fastest, one spot behind new teammate Sylvain Guintoli.
Day 1 riders Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki), Ruben Xaus (Honda), Leon Camier (Aprilia) and Max Biaggi
(Aprilia) did not participate in the Thursday sessions.
2011 World Superbike Portimao Test Day 2:
1. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1'54.718
2. Marco Melandri (Yamaha) 1'55.063
3. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1'56.162
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Ducati) 1'56.505
5. Jakub Smrz (Ducati) 1'56.902
6. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'57.213
7. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha) 1'58.126
8. Noriyuki Haga (Aprilia) 1'58.377
9. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'58.711
10. Michel Fabrizio (Suzuki) 1'58.919
11. James Toseland (BMW) 1'59.390
12. Maxime Berger (Ducati) 1'59.472