Yamaha's Josh Hayes took the best time in Friday's qualifying for American SuperBike.
Threatening weather greeted the 2011 AMA Pro Road Racing
series at the Barber Superbike Classic on Friday. A revised schedule had to be adopted after rain throughout Birmingham, Alabama forced shortened practice sessions. In the end, however, American SuperBike, Daytona SportBike and AMA SuperSport managed to squeeze in qualifying, with Graves Yamaha
’s Josh Hayes, Monster Yamaha’s Josh Herrin and Corey Alexander posting the best times in their respective classes.
Hayes clenched the best lap in qualifying for the Barber Superbike Classic Friday afternoon. Despite heavy rain earlier, the 45-minute session took place with Hayes recording the only time below the 1’26 mark, ultimately leading the timesheets by 0.177 seconds ahead of Rockstar Makita Suzuki
’s Tommy Hayden. Jordan Suzuki’s Ben Bostrom posted the third-quickest lap 0.868 seconds off the pace of Hayes with Bostrom’s brother, Roger Hayden, taking fourth in the charts just 0.002 seconds behind.
Winner of Race 1 at Road America, Blake Young, earned fifth on the provisional grid. The Rockstar Makita Suzuki rider was trailed by BMW
’s Larry Pegram, who snagged sixth in the order with his lap time of 1:27.053. San Diego BMW/Lee`s Cycle’s Steve Rapp was more than a second off the pace of Hayes for seventh in the qualifying order with M4 Suzuki’s Martin Cardenas another 0.020 seconds back. Amsoil EBR Racing’s Geoff May claimed the ninth-fastest time, and Team Iron Horse’s Chris Peris recorded a time nearly two seconds adrift of the leader to round out the top-10.
AMA SuperBike Friday Qualifying Results:
1. Josh Hayes (Yamaha) 1:25.980
2. Tommy Hayden (Suuzki) 1:26.157
Suzuki's Roger Hayden was just 0.002 seconds off the pace of his brother, Tommy Hayden.
3. Ben Bostrom (Suzuki) 1:26.848
4. Roger Hayden (Suzuki) 1:26.850
5. Blake Young (Suzuki) 1:26.884
6. Larry Pegram (BMW) 1:27.053
7. Steve Rapp (BMW) 1:27.280
8. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 1:27.300
9. Geoff May (Buell) 1:27.559
10. Chris Peris (BMW) 1:27.950
11. Chris Clark (Yamaha) 1:28.650
12. JB Beach (Kawasaki) 1:29.458
13. Jeremy Toye (BMW) 1:29.554
14. Jordan Burgess (Suzuki) 1:30.860
15. Chris Trounson (BMW) 1:31.156
Monster Energy Yamaha’s Josh Herrin grabbed the fastest lap near the end of a wet qualifying session at Barber Motorsports Park on Friday. Heavy rain and strong winds interrupted the Daytona DSB session, but riders eventually resumed activities on the quickly drying track. Herrin outpaced Latus Ducati’s Jason DiSalvo
by 0.198 seconds, the 20-year-old continuing his strong form after winning the last two rounds. Meanwhile Celtic Racing’s PJ Jacobsen rounded out the top-three times more than half a second adrift of the leader.
Vesrah Suzuki’s Cory West posted the fourth-best time and rounded out the provisional front row, with Yamaha Extended Service/Pat Clark Sports' Tommy Aquino taking his best time 0.148 seconds behind. A trio of Suzuki’s followed including Geico Powersports Suzuki’s Danny Eslick
, M4 Suzuki’s Dane Westby and Vesrah Suzuki’s Taylor Knapp in sixth through eighth, respectively. Triple Crown Industries’ Paul Allison and GP Bike Parts Racing Yamaha’s Cameron Beaubier rounded out the top-10 times, with Beaubier finishing more than 1.8 seconds off the pace.
Daytona SportBike Friday Qualifying Results:
1. Josh Herrin (Yamaha) 1:29.582
Josh Herrin once again outpaced Jason DiSalvo to secure provisional pole at Barber.
2. Jason DiSalvo (Ducati) 1:29.780
3. PJ Jacobsen (Ducati) 1:30.134
4. Cory West (Suzuki) 1:30.238
5. Tommy Aquino (Yamaha) 1:30.386
6. Danny Eslick (Suzuki) 1:30.484
7. Dane Westby (Suzuki) 1:30.620
8. Taylor Knapp (Suzuki) 1:30.845
9. Paul Allison (Yamaha) 1:30.965
10. Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha) 1:31.480
11. Fernando Amantini (Kawasaki) 1:31.674
12. Kris Turner (Suzuki) 1:31.809
13. Barrett Long (Ducati) 1:32.273
14. Santiago Villa (Suzuki) 1:32.452
15. Huntley Nash (Yamaha) 1:32.958
Alexander nailed the best time in qualifying for the Motorcycle-Superstore.com
SuperSport class. Alexander was 0.378 seconds faster than LTD Yamaha’s David Gaviria, who currently leads the west coast title chase. Red Bull Honda’s Benny Solis earned third on the timesheets just 0.075 seconds behind Gaviria, with Yamaha’s Travis Wyman posting fourth on the provisional grid. LTD Yamaha’s Tomas Puerta could only take the fifth-best lap of the day with his time of 1:32.064, which was nearly half a second off his teammate’s pace.
AMA SuperSport Friday Qualifying Results:
1. Corey Alexander (Suuzki) 1:31.581
Vesrah Suzuki's Cory Alexander took the top time in the first SuperSport qualifying session on Friday.
2. David Gaviria (Yamaha) 1:31.959
3. Benny Solis (Honda) 1:32.034
4. Travis Wyman (Yamaha) 1:32.056
5. Tomas Puerta (Yamaha) 1:32.064
6. Dustin Dominguez (Triumph) 1:32.265
7. James Rispoli (Suzuki) 1:32.961
8. Elena Myers (Suzuki) 1:33.182
9. Hayden Gillim (Honda) 1:33.205
10. Ben Young (Yamaha) 1:33.390
11. James Dellinger (Suzuki) 1:33.611
12. Travis Ohge (Yamaha) 1:33.756
13. Stefano Mesa (Ducati) 1:33.848
14. Emerson Connor (Ducati) 1:34.126
15. Sam Nash (Yamaha) 1:34.152