Marc Marquez (#93) was only 0.065 seconds behind Corsi during practice and will be aiming for his fifth win at Indy this weekend.
Ioda Racing Project’s Simone Corsi is off to a good start at the Indianapolis circuit. The Moto2 rider recovered from a crash at the start of the second practice on Friday to take the fastest lap of the field, jumping from 23rd to the top of the charts to take the session by just 0.065 seconds ahead of Team CatalunyaCaixa Repsol’s Marc Marquez.
Meanwhile, Corsi’s teammate, Mattia Pasini, recorded the third-fastest time, the Italian achieving a time of 1'46.448 more than a tenth behind Marquez.
One of Moto2’s top riders, Kenan Sofuoglu, was absent from the second practice following a major highside in the morning. Viessmann Kiefer Racing’s posted fourth in the charts, the Brit crossing the line just 0.005 seconds shy of Pasini. Bradl was chased by Scott Redding, who nabbed fifth after topping the morning session charts. Julian Simon made major progress with his lap times and earned sixth in the order, with QMMF Racing Team’s Ricard Cardus taking seventh. Pons HP 40’s Aleix Espargaro, Tech 3 Racing’s Mike di Meglio and Gresini Racing Moto2’s Michele Pirro ran eighth through tenth, respectively, with American Kenny Noyes finishing the day in 15th 0.807 seconds off the pace of the leader. Overall it was an extremely tight practice with the top-17 riders all within a second of each other.
Indianapolis Moto2 Practice Results 2011:
1. Simone Corsi (FTR) 1'46.274
2. Marc Marquez (Suter) 1'46.339
3. Mattia Pasini (FTR) 1'46.448
4. Stefan Bradl (Kalex) 1'46.453
5. Scott Redding (Suter) 1'46.574
6. Julian Simon (Suter) 1'46.590
7. Ricard Cardus (Moriwaki) 1'46.654
8. Aleix Espargaro (Pons Kalex) 1'46.820
9. Mike di Meglio (Tech 3) 1'46.844
10. Michele Pirro (Moriwaki) 1'46.865
11. Bradley Smith (Tech 3) 1'46.975
12. Yuki Takahashi (Moriwaki) 1'47.000
13. Claudio Corti (Suter) 1'47.073
14. Anthony West (MZ-RE Honda) 1'47.079
15. Kenny Noyes (FTR) 1'47.081