Drag site icon to your taskbar to pin site. Learn More

Marc Marquez to stay in Moto2 in 2012

Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Marc Marquez ended intense speculation about his future in Malaysia by confirming he will remain in the Moto2 world championship in 2012. The Spaniard has been constantly linked with a switch to MotoGP in recent weeks, but the 18-year-old confirmed in Sepang that he won’t move until 2013.

Marc Marquez  #93
Repsol rider and rising Moto2 star Marc Marquez has opted to delay his MotoGP promotion until the 2013 season.
Marquez admitted he was seriously tempted to switch to MotoGP next season, less than a year after he clinched the 125GP world championship in a dramatic final round in Valencia. But he said gaining more experience with another year in Moto2 was his preferred decision.

“I am only 18 and I have a lot of time to go MotoGP. I thought about moving next year but in the end I think it better to gain more experience with one more year in Moto2.”

Marquez’s team boss Emilio Alzamora confirmed they had looked at the prospect of switching to MotoGP next year but the decision to remain in Moto2 had been taken prior to last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix in Phillip Island.

Marquez arrived at the penultimate Moto2 round trailing German rival Stefan Bradl by three points, but lost another 20 points after he was forced to watch the Sepang race from the garage. The Repsol rider was deemed medically unfit to compete after crashing hard in Friday’s practice. Marquez will arrive at the Valencia finale needing a race victory and zero points from Bradl to secure the Moto2 title.

Marquez Right to Delay MotoGP Switch, Says Rossi

Valentino Rossi has backed rising star Marc Marquez’s decision to stay for one more season in the Moto2 world championship in 2012. Rossi said: “Personally I think he made the right choice. If I am Marc I would do the same because first he is very young and he has a lot of time and second it is a way to take out some pressure because if he wins the championship he is happy but if he loses he has another chance to become Moto2 world champion next year.”

Rossi also joked that Marquez’s decision would make his job of moving Ducati’s struggling Desmosedici closer to the front next season easier. He added: “I think it is also positive for us because it means there is one less Honda.” 

Colin Edwards predicted Marquez will make a major impact when he switches to MotoGP in 2013, most likely with his own Honda squad run by current team boss Emilio Alzamora.

The Texan said:” “For me it is the best news I’ve heard all week because I love watching him before I got out. And if he is in the same race I might not even see him. I watch him before I go out and it is like a Rocky movie because it gets you pumped up watching him coming through the pack or doing what he does. But he will definitely be a threat when he comes to MotoGP.”

Login or sign up to comment.