Repsol Honda's Casey Stoner had the fastest time during both practice sessions at the Le Mans circuit in France.
Repsol Honda’s Casey Stoner
closed out both free practice sessions on Friday at Le Mans with the fastest lap, outpacing San Carlo Honda’s Marco Simoncelli by more than four tenths of a second. Rounding out the top-three was Stoner’s Honda teammate, Dani Pedrosa, with the Spaniard being the only rider unable to improve his morning time during a much hotter afternoon run. Overall it was a great day for Honda
machines as they occupied the top three slots heading into the fourth qualifying session of the 2011 MotoGP season.
American Nicky Hayden claimed fourth in the books and was the fastest Ducati rider of the day at 1'34.652, which came late in the afternoon session. Hayden was trailed by the 2010 MotoGP
champ, Jorge Lorenzo, who was just 0.007 seconds behind Hayden after cutting his morning lap time by nearly half a second. Honda’s Andrea Dovizioso grabbed sixth in the charts as he approaches the French circuit where he’s amassed a total of six podium finishes throughout his career. Just behind the Italian was Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Colin Edwards, who was more than a second off the pace of Stoner.
San Carlo Honda’s Hiroshi Aoyama posted eighth in the books after earning a time of 1'34.959 during the afternoon. Ducati’s Valentino Rossi took ninth just behind the Japanese rider, and was 1.184 seconds adrift following his final session of the day. Lorenzo’s Factory Yamaha teammate, Ben Spies
, held the final top-10 position with a lap that was just 0.010 seconds slower than Rossi.
Frenchman Randy de Puniet scored 11th in the practice order at his circuit while Yamaha
’s Cal Crutchlow made his racing debut at Le Mans with the 12th-fastest lap.
2011 MotoGP Le Mans Practice Results:
1. Casey Stoner (Honda) 1'33.782
San Carlo Marco Simoncelli surfaced with the second-best time in practice 0.404 seconds off the pace of Stoner.
2. Marco Simoncelli (Honda) 1'34.186
3. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1'34.478
4. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 1'34.652
5. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 1'34.659
6. Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) 1'34.705
7. Colin Edwards (Yamaha) 1'34.939
8. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda) 1'34.959
9. Valentino Rossi (Ducati) 1'34.966
10. Ben Spies (Yamaha) 1'34.976
11. Randy de Puniet (Ducati) 1'34.998
12. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 1'35.158
13. Loris Capirossi (Ducati) 1'35.383
14. Hector Barbera (Ducati) 1'35.902
15. Alvaro Bautista (Ducati) 1'35.992
16. Toni Elias (Honda) 1'36.304
17. Karel Abraham (Ducati) 1'36.327
Viessmann Kiefer Racing’s Stefan Bradl took the fastest lap on Friday during an extremely competitive Moto2 practice. The German rider was 0.291 seconds quicker than Interwetten Paddock Moto2’s Thomas Luthi, and has continued dominating every pre-race session thus far in 2011. Ioda Racing Project’s Simone Corsi rounded out the top-three times 0.426 seconds off the pace, with Forward Racing’s Jules Cluzel posting fourth in the charts with a lap of 1'39.169.
Speed Master’s Andrea Iannone landed the fifth-best time of the day after improving from 11th during the morning session. Team CatalunyaCaixa Repsol’s Marc Marquez followed the Italian just 0.040 seconds afterward to claim sixth in the charts, with JiR Moto2’s Alex de Angelis, Gresini Racing’s Yuki Takahashi, Pons HP 40’s Aleix Espargaro and Mapfre Aspar’s Julian Simon rounding out the top-10 times in seventh through 10th, respectively.
2011 Moto2 Le Mans Practice Results:
1. Stefan Bradl (Kalex) 1'38.709
After completing the fastest lap during practice Stefan Bradl is on pace to secure his fourth consecutive superpole this season.
2. Thomas Luthi (Suter) 1'39.000
3. Simone Corsi (FTR) 1'39.135
4. Jules Cluzel (Suter) 1'39.169
5. Andrea Iannone (Suter) 1'39.196
6. Marc Marquez (Suter) 1'39.236
7. Alex de Angelis (Motobi) 1'39.248
8. Yuki Takahashi (Moriwaka) 1'39.294
9. Aleix Espargaro (Pons Kalex) 1'39.368
10. Julian Simon (Suter) 1'39.389
11. Scott Redding (Suter) 1'39.502
12. Claudio Corti (Suter) 1'39.568
13. Pol Espargaro (FTR) 1'39.655
14. Bradley Smith (Tech 3) 1'39.666
15. Yonny Hernandez (FTR) 1'39.770