AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike
Hayes at Miller. The Mississippi native has enjoyed a nearly flawless season so far.
Monster Energy Graves Yamaha’s Josh Hayes
took the top time in qualifying at Road America in AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike on Friday. The Mississippi native out-paced his competition by nearly two seconds at the end of the session. In the final minutes Hayes’ teammate Josh Herrin posted a time which took him up to second-place ahead of Yoshimura Racing’s Blake Young
who was bumped down to third.
Despite cool and windy condtions, Hayes posted a lap time just 0.013 seconds off Mat Mladin's course record set in 2007 during the first practice session. He wasn't far off that mark in qualifying, still in the 2:11's to take the provisional pole.
"Today started off fantastic," said Hayes. "I'm feeling good, the bike is working great, and I'm excited to get back to this racetrack that has always been one of my favorites, if not my favorite. We pulled the bike off the truck and the bike is working, things are clicking."
Herrin's final-lap flyer took him from 10th on the timesheet to second, recalling a similar move at Miller where the SuperBike freshman bested Young in the final lap to take second on the podium. Young may have more in store later in the weekend though; he is from nearby Madison, Wisconsin, won his first-ever AMA Pro Road Race at Road America and defeated Hayes during last year's Saturday race.
National Guard Jordan Suzuki’s Roger Hayden managed to score fourth-place and he was followed by Team Amsoil/Hero’s Geoff May. Jordan Suzuki’s Ben Bostrom took sixth, barely edging out Foremost Insurance’s Larry Pegram who came in seventh. Motorcycle-Superstore.com
/Attack Performance’s Steve Rapp
ended the session in eighth-place.
2012 National Guard SuperBike Friday Road America:
1. Josh Hayes (Yamaha) 2:11.853
2. Josh Herrin (Yamaha) 2:13.087
3. Blake Young (Suzuki) 2:13.178
4. Roger Hayden (Suzuki) 2:13.698
5. Geoff May (EBR) 2:13.844
6. Ben Bostrom (Suzuki) 2:13.937
7. Larry Pegram (BMW) 2:14.070
8. Steve Rapp (Kawasaki) 2:14.474
9. Danny Eslick (EBR) 2:14.653
10 Chris Clark (Suzuki) 2:14.667
AMA Pro GoPro Daytona SportBike
Yamaha Extended Service’s Cameron Beaubier took the provisional pole position in Daytona SportBike at Road America. Team Latus Motors Racing’s Jason DiSalvo
took second after he dug deep at the end of the session to post a time just 0.058 ahead of Geico Suzuki’s Martin Cardenas
, who was bumped down to third. Ducshop Racing’s Jake Zemke was able to hold on to fourth-place and M4 Suzuki’s Dane Westby to fifth.
Cardenas led for much of the session, but Beaubier came up late to take the lead. "I nailed everything," the Yamaha ace said afterward. CB had crashed earlier in the session and came up with the top time on his second YZF-R6.
2012 Daytona SportBike Friday Road America:
Cameron Beaubier took the provisional pole position in SportBike afer a late session push for the top spot.
1. Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha) 2:19.638
2. Jason DiSalvo (Triumph) 2:19.875
3. Martin Cardenas (Suzuki) 2:19.933
4. Jake Zemke (Ducati) 2:20.325
5. Dane Westby (Suzuki) 2:20.852
6. JD Beach (Yamaha) 2:20.993
7. Bobby Fong (Yamaha) 2:21.192
8. Tommy Hayden (Yamaha) 2:21.344
9. Jake Gagne (Yamaha) 2:21.665
10. Huntley Nash (Yamaha) 2:21.854
AMA Pro Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport
Riders Discount Vesrah Suzuki’s Jake Lewis topped the timesheet in Motorcycle-Superstore.com SuperSport. Castrol Triumph’s Dustin Dominguez followed Lewis by a mere 0.039 and earned the second fastest time, followed by Celtic Racing’s James Rispoli in third. National Guard Suzuki’s Cory Alexander posted the fourth fastest time and SuzukiScoop’s Elena Myers rounded out the top five with her late session effort which put her just 0.218 off Alexander’s time.
Tomas Puerta (12), James Rispoli (1), Jake Lewis (85) and Dustin Dominguez (68) in SuperSport at Miller, all will be looking to take a podium finish at Road America.
"It's a pretty good lap," said Lewis. "It's four miles around, so you have to hit your lines every time around here."
2012 SuperSport Friday Road America
1. Jake Lewis (Suzuki) 2:21.833
2. Dustin Dominguez (Triumph) 2:21.872
3. James Rispoli (Suzuki) 2:22.378
4. Corey Alexander (Suzuki) 2:23.600
5. Elena Myers (Suzuki) 2:23.818
6. Tomas Puerta (Yamaha) 2:24.002
7. Stefano Mesa (Yamaha) 2:24.227
8. Hayden Gillim (Yamaha) 2:24.891
9. Travis Wyman (Suzuki) 2:25.189
10. Ricardo Valdez (Yamaha) 2:25.855