Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes continues to impress in 2012, taking the Imola Superpole in record-breaking fashion. The Superpole success marks consecutive pole positions for the English rider, who has consistently piloted the ZX-10R to the top of the timesheet in testing and qualifying throughout the young 2012 season.
Tom Sykes earns his second SBK pole position of 2012 in record-setting fashion, the Kawasaki Racing Team rider winning Superpole at Imola.
Sykes set a new track best at 1’46.748 in the final Imola Superspole session, the KRT (Kawasaki Racing Team) ace a half second better than his nearest rivals, the Ducati duo of Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) and reigning SBK champion Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati), a respective second and third. BMW Motorrad’s Leon Haslam took the final front row position.
Factory Aprilia’s Max Biaggi leads Row 2 for Sunday’s doubleheader. The 2010 SBK champion and current points leader was followed on the timesheet by compatriot Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad). Jonathan Rea was one again the fastest Honda on the grid, the Honda World Superbike Team rider placing seventh despite high-siding during the session. Sykes’ KRT teammate, Joan Lascorz, rounds out Row 2.
The Ducati trio of Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing), Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) and Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) fill up Row 3, along with factory Aprilia’s second man Eugene Laverty in 11th.
Leon Camier was the top qualifying Suzuki in 15th, while his Crescent Suzuki teammate, John Hopkins, was unable to participate in Superpole – the American starting his first races of 2012 in 19th.
2012 World Superbike Superpole Imola:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'46.748
2. Sylvain Guintoli (Ducati) 1'47.221
3. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1'47.423
4. Leon Haslam (BMW) 1'47.458
5. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1'47.611
6. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1'47.642
7. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1'47.643
8. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki) 1'47.740
9. Lorenzo Zanetti (Ducati) 1'48.108
10. Jakub Smrz (Ducati) 1'48.137
11. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1'48.299
12. Davide Giugliano (Ducati)
13. Maxime Berger (Ducati) 1'48.267
14. Niccolò Canepa (Ducati) 1'48.382
15. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1'48.415
16. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'48.631
17. Chaz Davies (Aprilia) 1'48.857
18. Michel Fabrizio (BMW) 1'48.904
19. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 1'49.790
20. David Salom (Kawasaki) 1'49.854
21. Mark Aitchison (BMW) 1'50.009
22. Brett McCormick (Ducati) 1'50.266
23. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda) 1'50.670
24. Leandro Mercado (Kawasaki) 1'50.999
25. Lorenzo Alfonsi (Honda) 1'52.993