Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes picked up where he left off at the Imola. The Englishman improved upon his record-breaking laps during Round 2 of the World Superbike Championship
to top the timesheet during a one-day official SBK test at the Italian circuit. The testing festivities were marred, however, by injuries to Sykes’ teammate Joan Lascorz.
Lascorz crashed his KRT ZX-10R early in the opening testing session. Treated at the track medical center, the Spanish rider was transported to a Bologna hospital via helicopter with a possible fractured vertebra. A KRT press release confirmed damage to the T6 vertebra and that Lascorz underwent surgery.
Sykes’s SBK timesheet topping form is growing familiar. The 27-year-old previously broke the lap record at the Italian circuit while claiming Superpole on Saturday. He also set a new best lap during a hard-charging second-place performance in Race 2 at Imola. Sykes also set a new record at the Motorland Aragorn circuit during a private test prior to the Imola round.
Sykes was followed on the Imola timesheet by Honda’s Jonathan Rea and Suzuki’s Leon Camier. BMW’s Leon Haslam was fourth, with Aprilia’s Max Biaggi rounding out the top five. Imola’s double victory performer, Carlos Checa, was sixth-fastest.
2012 World Superbike Imola Test Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'46.609
2. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1'47.121
3. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1'47.238
4. Leon Haslam (BMW) 1'47.257
5. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1'47.351
6. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1'47.430
7. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1'47.779
8. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 1'47.848
9. Niccolò Canepa (Ducati) 1'47.989
10. Davide Giugliano (Ducati) 1'48.011
11. David Salom (Kawasaki) 1'48.066
12. Ayrton Badovini (BMW) 1'48.149
13. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki) 1'48.197
14. Michel Fabrizio (BMW) 1'48.273
15. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda) 1'48.484
16. Mark Aitchison (BMW) 1'48.915
17. Leandro Mercado (Kawasaki) 1'49.805
18. Chaz Davies (Aprilia) 1'50.124
19. John Hopkins (Suzuki) 1'50.378