Kawasaki Racing’s Tom Sykes proved to be the man to beat on Friday at Silverstone, posting the fastest lap time in the morning practice and afternoon qualifying sessions. Sykes outpaced the second-fastest rider, Leon Camier of FIXI Crescent Suzuki, by eight-tenths of a second. Althea Racing’s Davide Giugliano ended the qualifying session in third.
Sykes was the only rider on the grid to dip into the 2’05 range, which he did midway through the session. Close to five minutes before the end of the day, Sykes crashed his ZX-10R in Turn 1. Luckily he was unharmed in the incident. Giugliano went down prior to Sykes’ incident and he, too, was unharmed.
Early in the qualifying session current points leader Sylvain Guintoli of Aprilia Racing enjoyed mere seconds atop the timesheet before Giugliano bested the French rider. Giugliano maintained the top time for an extended period in the initial stages before Sykes put down the definitive time of the day. Camier made his move past Giugliano during the final minutes on his 12th lap of 14.
Pata Honda’s Jonathan Rea came through fourth-fastest, followed by his teammate Leon Haslam in fifth. Guintoli’s teammate, Eugene Laverty, finished sixth followed by Sykes’ teammate, Loris Baz in seventh. BMW Motorrad GoldBet’s Marco Melandri notched the eighth-fastest time with Guintoli trailing in ninth. Guintoli continues to suffer from shoulder pain sustained during a training accident in the lead-up to the previous round at Moscow, which affected his ability to maintain a competitive pace during the day.
"My shoulder still isn't at 100%, so I need to work on it," remarked Guintoli. "In any case we are faster than we were in Moscow and I'm confident that we can get even better. I'm certainly not riding the way I know how to yet. We need to find some solutions to achieve a more effective race pace. Everything is working well, but we still need to work on a few details in order for me to feel comfortable on the bike since my injury is still quite painful."
World Superbike Silverstone Friday Results 2013:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 2’05.355
2. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 2’06.236
3. Davide Giugliano (Aprilia) 2’06.332
4. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 2’06.349
5. Leon Haslam (Honda) 2’06.353
6. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia) 2’06.539
7. Loris Baz (Kawasaki) 2’06.553
8. Marco Melandri (BMW) 2’06.590
9. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia) 2’06.656
10. Jules Cluzel (Suzuki) 2’06.718
11. Ayrton Badovini (Ducati) 2’06.735
12. Chaz Davies (BMW) 2’06.826
13. Max Neukirchner (Ducati) 2’07.516
14. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 2’07.546
15. Michel Fabrizio (Aprilia) 2’07.753
16. Mark Aitchison (Kawasaki) 2’09.126
17. Federico Sandi (Kawasaki) 2’10.471
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo (BMW) 2’11.866