Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez made it three poles in a row today at Motorland Aragon after laying down a pole record time of 1’47.804 to edge out Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo. No sooner had Lorenzo topped the timesheets with a 1’47.814 then Marquez dropped it even further to take the top slot away. It is the seventh pole of the season for Honda’s sensational rookie.
"It was a very closely fought qualifying session," said Marquez in post-qualifying PR. "We were able to get maximum performance from the tires, which was the key to this pole position. Small details decided things this afternoon."
Lorenzo looked strong in the early practice sessions while setting the fastest times. The Yamaha Factory Rider has ridden fast starts to victories in the last couple races and will be looking to get the drop on Marquez from the second spot on the grid.
"I knew I made a really good lap and I hoped to be in first position but I knew the other riders would be very close or in front of me. Finally by one-hundredth of a second I lost it,” Lorenzo said.
Repsol Honda’s Dani Pedrosa completes the front row after finishing third-fastest today. Pedrosa was the first rider to ever lap Aragon in the 1’47 range when he laid down a blistering 1’47.947. Pedrosa was one of six riders to run faster than Casey Stoner’s lap record with Marquez leading the charge.
Valentino Rossi will head up the second row after being edged out of third by 0.005 seconds. The Doctor sat as high as second during the qualifying session but was quickly deposed by the faster Marquez and Lorenzo.
LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl backed up yesterday’s second-fastest effort with the fifth-best time today. Joining him on the second row is Go & Fun Honda Gresini rider Alvaro Bautista.
Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider Cal Crutchlow will start tomorrow’s race from the third row as he couldn’t quite squeeze enough speed out of his YZR-M1 to lap with the frontrunners. His Tech 3 teammate joins him as Bradley Smith put up 1’48.854 to secure eighth place. Andrea Dovizioso was the top Ducati finisher in ninth.
Yonny Hernandez put out a commendable effort in his debut for the Ignite Pramac Racing team and will start tomorrow from 13th. His substitute on the PBM team, Damian Cudlin, didn’t fare as well, crashing hard and banging up his right arm.
MotoGP Aragon Qualifying Results 2013
1. Marc Marquez (Honda) 1’47.804
2. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 1’47.814
3. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 1’47.957
4. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 1’47.962
5. Stefan Bradl (Honda) 1’48.128
6. Alvaro Bautista (Honda) 1’48.302
7. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 1’48.653
8. Bradley Smith (Yamaha) 1’48.854
9. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 1’49.219
10. Alex Espargaro (ART) 1’49.348
11. Nicky Hayden (Ducati) 1’49. 428
12. Andrea Iannone (Ducati) 1’50.094
13. Yonny Hernandez (Ducati) 1’50.685
14. Hiroshi Aoyama (FTR) 1’50.995
15. Danilo Petrucci (Suter-BMW CRT) 1’51.030
16. Randy DePuniet (ART) 1’51.297
17. Colin Edwards (FTR) 1’51.327
18. Claudio Corti (FTR) 1’51.519
19. Hector Barbera (FTR) 1’51.552
20. Michael Laverty (ART) 1’51.639